Redundant Match Kits ?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I am in between poles at the moment, awaiting delivery of a Tournament Pro X more power package. i have done a deal with a good friend to swap the 2 X match kits that come with it for 2 X power kits. As most of the waters I fish have carp rather than F1's, I opt for power kits more than match kits. I have 4 X Daiwa Fi speed kits that I use for silvers with lighter elastics they work fine. Anyone else ditched using match kits ?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I always preferred the power kits on my G20, the weight difference is minimal and they're strong and have larger bores.
I swapped my match kits out for Daiwa prebores(interlastic kit with wrap and no holes).

stephenk

Site Supporter
Just take the number ones out - strong as anything and better balanced than a carp top

Scribe

Site Supporter
@stephenk I have done that on my previous poles, but can't see any real benefit of using a match kit with light elastics over an F1 speed kit with the same light elastics.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tend to use match kits when fishing beyond 13m as they're lighter and balance the pole better. Power tops seem to make it bounce at length.

Scribe

Site Supporter
I tend to use match kits when fishing beyond 13m as they're lighter and balance the pole better. Power tops seem to make it bounce at length.
How do you get on with them, if you get a 10 - 12 Lb carp Dave ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No problem, just don't catch 10-12lb Carp :D

Seriously, same as a power top, I let the elastic do the work.
The strongest elastic in my match kits is 10/12 , I ship back quickly to the top-two letting the elastic out and then use the elastic to guide them in.
Works most of the time

endpeg

Daiwa match kits without the no 1 are plenty strong enough for Carp.
I only have 2 power tops that are used for snag fishing.
The rest are match kits with upto black hydro in.
Never broken a top with a fish on!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I used match kits for everything, apart from the heaviest elastic for margin fishing, much better feel on the pole (at 16m) I would happily put a 14 hollow in a match kit, although I have pretty much switched to hybrids now - weight saving being one factor, as well as liking how it performs. Nathan Watson also uses match kits for everything in preference to powerkits.

The inter power kits are definitely better than the early ones, they really did unbalance they pole.

I don’t fish for F1’s either…….

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
It's 15 years since I last match fished on commercials but it doesn't sound like power tops have improved much since. I made the mistake of buying some at the time but I soon switched back to the match kits without the number one. Carp weren't generally as big in those days but I remember winning the 'Woodlands Whopper' pool a couple of times with fish that were low doubles.