Redundancy

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
My wife works in retail (or did), and its clothing that they sell, so not an essential store. A full close down was needed to be doneat end of business on wednesday to fall in line with the government rules and as the manager was on holiday at his holiday home at the sea side he was going to stay there until wednesday then travel back. My wife being assistant manager or as she was called senior supervisor (coz it's cheaper to have senior supervisor than assistant manager) she had the job of doing the shut down. She used to be manager of a super market with 16 tills so this shop is even less than a corner shop to her.
Anyway, the shop was duly shut down, banking done charity jars etc put in the safe and away the 2 other staff on duty and her came home.

Thursday was really nice to be at home thinking that on the 2 dec the shop would be re-opening.
I got my stuff ready to go fishing on friday with my son and his boss, which we did and had a good day.

Friday we got home after a nice day fishing and the wife had collected the youngest grandson from school and was going home this week on friday instead of his normal overnight stay with us. we had a brew and than she dropped a bombshell telling us that she had recieved a text message from the company head office telling her that she wasn't being furloughed along with all the other employees who worked for the same part of the group, but that there employment with the company had been terminated on wednesday at close of business. They wouldn't be getting redundancy payment from them , owed holiday pay or wages owed to them.
There was though a link to the government website to their redundancy payment thing.

All this from a big very well known company, who had by the way been into administration, and the courts wouldn't allow any more time to get sorted.

They hadn't even got the bottle to speak to the stores on wednesday to tell them.
To say we are shell shocked is a bit of an uderstatement.

Sorry it's a long post but thats what happened.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That’s an awful thing to happen - hope you can get some support to see you through.

jods

Had the same happen in April ( when Laura Ashley went ) got all money owed from the government.

JayD

Having been made redundant 7 times in my working life, I can fully empathise with your situation. I had one where I had been off with a serious illness, and was declared fit for work at the beginning of December. I was told by the company to restart after the holidays, only to get a letter saying I had been 'laid off', (slightly different to full redundancy, but eventually pushes you in the same direction), in the post on Christmas eve!
Some of mine were because of companies closing due to insolvency, some through reduced work load causing a reduction in staff. The ones where I was eligible for redundancy payments, but the company couldn't pay them, it was paid by the Redundancy Payment Service, I never had to apply personally, the company always applied. If the company was eventually closed down, then the Government service claimed back what they could from the sale of assets along with any other creditors.
It's a bad thing to happen at any time, but at this time of year, and with the added covid situation, it seems much worse.
I hope it all works out for you in the future.

John

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
If you’re going to make people redundant, at least do the decent thing & tell people face to face. To tell people by text message is just very, very poor

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
We should be o/k money wise as I have got my company pension to top up my state one, and no debt only the nornmal things I.E. energy bills, council tax, water rates etc.

endpeg

Sh!t company, I worked indirectly for them in distribution they sold the contract to another company who made us all redundant the day it changed over.
Got paid redundancy tho!