Redundancy

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My mate worked for a tool hire firm that was bought out at the end of last year and has been repeatedly furloughed since March. He then got the call to come in for a “chat” regarding a big reduction in staff numbers, had to reapply for his job, was unsuccessful and then put on gardening leave pending being made redundant tomorrow. Blew his mortgage offer out of the water 2 weeks before his house move & forced him to move in with his sister.

I had a word with our site manager who called him in for a chat and as of Monday he starts at our place as a warehouseman - never seen someone so made up.

Hope some more people see an equally positive outcome soon.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
A horrible position to be in for the vast majority of people especially in the current climate.
Been there once myself due to branch closure. I was asked to relocate but due to various circumstances that was a no go for me at the time. Can be very demoralising but I went to great efforts to maintain a positive attitude. Ended up at a major supermarket chain, totally out of my working experience but gave it my best efforts and stayed until I retired around 5 years ago.
I wish the very best of luck to anyone it that position now but the one thing I would say is show a can do attitude and don't be afraid to apply for something outside of your experience or comfort zone.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
SWMBO was made redundant in July after 17 years service, not Covid related, the company she worked for terminated the contracted of the customer that her admin job was solely dedicated to. Officially she was TUPEd to the new supplier, but they are based 200 miles away so she was made redundant the same day.

Thankfully she secured a new job and starts tomorrow. A different type of role but her transferrable skills have stood her in good stead. Money is slightly less, but as its a lot closer to home it's virtually neutral when taking into account fuel costs, plus she'll be working from home for the forseeable.

Payoff from the old firm was decent, so she has a fair amount to stick away for a rainy day.

Thankful that she's back employed before the workforce armageddon that will invariably ensue when the furlough scheme ends shortly. It's not going to be pretty, and I can't see an outcome that doesn't have longstanding effects on the labour market and the economy in general for years to come.

Good luck to anyone looking for a job over the next few months.....

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
There's been no consultation at my place, got rid of a few already, but we are a contractor or 3rd party as it were, the customer company pays a day rate to our company for our services so dunno how it works. Day rate per member of staff.

Think i'm safe though, they're making redundancies from people who didn't come back from furlough yet whereas i was one of the first brought back in.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
My place has been in consultation for about 10 weeks have been part time since july now been offered working Friday to Monday still staff waiting to find out there hours
have staff from different depots working at ours

violator

Looks like my company are entering a second phase of redundancy consultation, I survived the last one but might not dodge the bullet this time. The missus works for the same company (we work in business travel management) but I think/hope that she'll survive. There are other options like reduced hours and being put on unpaid leave for three months, I've been on furlough since march so I'll keep it all crossed.

Freemason

Site Supporter
I'm redundant as of tomorrow, I've been on gardening leave for the last 12 weeks and only had one letter off them in that time,
which i think is a bit ignorant after fifteen years of service.
We used to work all over the country fitting architectural metalwork, but the firm have decided to concentrate on local work.
Half the workforce gone (15 Jobs). I ran the site side of things, so I suppose it was inevitable that my job went.
Not looking good around here either, especially aged 58.
Just applied for a job with the Canal & River Trust though, you never know? (y)

John
This was my post from the beginning of the month, for which I got a lot of support on here, so thanks.
I kept my chin up and hey presto the first interview landed me a new job, start on 9th November.

Got an email yesterday morning saying that due to the second lockdown, they could no longer offer me the job.
So chin up again, the struggle continues :rolleyes:

John

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
This was my post from the beginning of the month, for which I got a lot of support on here, so thanks.
I kept my chin up and hey presto the first interview landed me a new job, start on 9th November.

Got an email yesterday morning saying that due to the second lockdown, they could no longer offer me the job.

John
Stay positive mate ..... you got the first one you interviewed for ..... ok it didnt work out but it shows you come across well in interview so bodes well ........good luck (y)

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter

John
Mate I love good news and wish ya all the best, anyone else who is in a position like yours can now hopefully push forward with hope 👍good luck next ones yours I’m sure 😉

E1F6B8C1-9F8D-4ECD-9A8E-F33CC61539EE.jpeg
Here ya can have my positivity trophy this week 👍

62tucker

Site Supporter
My sons factory finished a 1/3 of there workforce about 50 blokes from 2 factories last month as the furloughed scheme ended or changed or they took redundancy before the furlough scheme changed. Anyway they left.
Yesterday he tells me they had a new starter 😳. Agency worker. 🤷‍♂️
I said sure that shouldn’t be allowed. He said someone has informed the union so wait and see. He always said it was a excuse to get rid of the lazy/useless etc etc