Redundancy

62tucker

Site Supporter
Well it’s the 1st of October and do the new furloughed rules start on November the 1st so it could be a busy month for job losses.
My son just messaged me that his factory want to lose 48 jobs from a workforce of around 150.
voluntary redundancies 1st and then it goes on time keeping. Sickness etc. He’s been back from May but says still about 40 still off on furlough.
He thinks he be ok even though he only been there 5 years as was one of the 1st back in and hasn’t been late or off sick in his 5 years.
As soon as the company’s have got to pay part of wages for staff not working I can see a wave of job losses.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Sadly lots of companies are in the same boat...
The wife's employers got rid of the office lass a month or so ago and are running bare bones staff...
my lass was given a laptop and told to be prepared to work from home in the event of a heavy/prolonged second wave

AdeB

Site Supporter
Sadly you're right, there are many companies in the same situation.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ve just got £2000 back from a mate who hit on hard times 12 months ago and given it straight back out to another mate who’s just been told he will be laid off at the end of October. Not good around these parts at the moment. What awful times we are living in.

Freemason

Site Supporter
I'm redundant as of tomorrow, I've been on gardening leave for the last 12 weeks and only had one letter off them in that time,
which i think is a bit ignorant after fifteen years of service.
We used to work all over the country fitting architectural metalwork, but the firm have decided to concentrate on local work.
Half the workforce gone (15 Jobs). I ran the site side of things, so I suppose it was inevitable that my job went.
Not looking good around here either, especially aged 58.
Just applied for a job with the Canal & River Trust though, you never know? (y)

John

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
The 28 day consultancy process has to be in place by Sunday/Monday for employers to be able to get rid of staff by the end of furlough on redundancy. So it's sadly going to be a very very bad weekend for some.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
I'm redundant as of tomorrow, I've been on gardening leave for the last 12 weeks and only had one letter off them in that time,
We used to work all over the country fitting architectural metalwork, but the firm have decided to concentrate on local work.
Half the workforce gone (15 Jobs). I ran the site side of things, so I suppose it was inevitable that my job went.

John
Good luck mate.

davej1981

I lost my job end of march, been applying jobs but not alot around, plenty of cleaning jobs, self employed multi drop driver but unless your a qualified healthcare practitioner theres not alot around. With all i keep hearing about companies letting staff go im not to confident of getting anything any time soon. Last time i was unemployed 5 years ago i had 6 interviews in a week and 10 days after becoming unemployed started a new job. Havent been offered 1 interview in 6 months this time

Sportsman

Site Supporter

John
Best of luck with your application (y)

Simon R

Site Supporter
The 28 day consultancy process has to be in place by Sunday/Monday for employers to be able to get rid of staff by the end of furlough on redundancy. So it's sadly going to be a very very bad weekend for some.
Doesn't that only apply if it's over a certain number of employees though?
I do love the phrase "consultancy process" though - whenever I see that regarding any sort of announcement I know that it's a;ready a done deal :p :p

Simon

AdeB

Site Supporter

John
Same thing happened to me after 38 yrs at the same age 5 yrs ago, it's gutting, however was only out of work for 4 months. Wishing you good luck in finding employment soon.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

John
Good luck. I mean that. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Left my old job through redundancy certainly wasn’t much fun! Took long enough to get a job after that let alone the current situation certainly a very scary situation for lots of people.

I’m technically only employed in my current role until Christmas but it’s looks likely I’ll be kept on. We’ve just had year end results which came in at only around 5% under the pre COVID budget and nearly 30% over the worst case scenario COVID adjusted budget so seems we’ve bucked the trend a bit. Would like my contract extended ASAP though as is a very nervy time.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Doesn't that only apply if it's over a certain number of employees though?
I do love the phrase "consultancy process" though - whenever I see that regarding any sort of announcement I know that it's a;ready a done deal :p :p

Simon
Your right mate. Less than 20 no consultation required. 20-99 30 days. 100+ 45 days.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Son was made redundant in July. September first he started a new job, salary considerably higher than the job he lost.

I was made redundant at 45, enabled me to retire at 53.

Ill wind and all that.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I’ve just got £2000 back from a mate who hit on hard times 12 months ago and given it straight back out to another mate who’s just been told he will be laid off at the end of October. Not good around these parts at the moment. What awful times we are living in.
Nice one mate👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nice one mate👍
Cheers pal. These are mates that would and have in the past been there for me. You wouldn’t be a mate if you sat by and watched your mates struggle would you ? It’s only money. I don’t put a lot of value on money myself. You’re better being right with people. Im sure you’d do the same thing pal. 👍

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Cheers pal. These are mates that would and have in the past been there for me. You wouldn’t be a mate if you sat by and watched your mates struggle would you ? It’s only money. I don’t put a lot of value on money myself. You’re better being right with people. Im sure you’d do the same thing pal. 👍
Proper true mates are very hard to find Mick and a lot different from mates.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I was made redundant twice. First time I took voluntary because I could see the company would shut down within months anyway. Second time was completely out of the blue. I’m really glad to be retired.

Our son in law was laid off in November. He was a skilled machine fitter. There just are no jobs out there. He’s been applying for loads of unskilled jobs but hasn’t even had an interview. A hundred applicants for every job.

Good luck to anyone who’s been laid off. I don’t envy you.