Red range

Pidtrev

Hi looking at buying the drennan red range 6-40 feeder reel i know it’s cheap does anyone have any views on it good or bad

thanks
trev

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My dad and grandad have one each. They are alright but don't feel as if they'd last all that long. Theirs are only occasionally used so perfectly OK but I'm not sure I'd trust them as daily drivers so to speak. The similarly priced daiwa sweepfire and Shimano sienna feel like better made reels to me although they do tend to be made in more float sizes than feeder sizes.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I have one in 30 size and its terrible. Used once put back in box on shelf never to be seen again.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I have one.. Lasted a year or two. Felt cheap, looked cheap and overall, it wasn't a great reel. Then the drag went, Then it completely fell apart.

What Carphauler said.. Spend an extra few bob and get a Ninja. Great reels.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I personally prefer my rear drag Shimano Saharas to my ninja (2500 size in my case) and they range from about £40-55 depending on the size and where you get them from.

Last edited:

richox12

I've had and used a 40 sized Feeder for years. No problems whatsoever. It has been faultless - especially for the price it was.

adam11

I've always been surprised at how tacky Drennan reels have looked and felt, from a company whose rods are extremely good in their given price ranges i cant get my head round why they are happy to put those reels out under their banner.
As already said I'd look at other options personally, the ninja or one of the cadence range . I've taken a punt on one of the kastking sharkeys as mentioned by rd115 just out of curiosity really but only the other day so its not arrived yet for me to give my opinion on but rd115's findings gave me the confidence to make the purchase :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've always been surprised at how tacky Drennan reels have looked and felt, from a company whose rods are extremely good in their given price ranges i cant get my head round why they are happy to put those reels out under their banner.
As already said I'd look at other options personally, the ninja or one of the cadence range . I've taken a punt on one of the kastking sharkeys as mentioned by rd115 just out of curiosity really but only the other day so its not arrived yet for me to give my opinion on but rd115's findings gave me the confidence to make the purchase :)
The 7 series reels are pretty good for their price but yes the FDs and red range are pretty tacky. It does surprise me as well that they don’t do some higher end reels. Not necessarily silly £100 things but just some more stuff in say £50-75 range to compete with the stuff that the likes of daiwa, shimano etc put out in that range. Guess they just make enough money off rods, terminal tackle and luggage to not have to worry about reels too much 🤔

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Greys were the same, made cracking rods, fly reels and luggage but then there is the p.poor Greys GFS 30 and 40 spinning reels.

I suppose a lot of companies do it, knowing if they put their name on it will sell.

richox12

The 7 series reels are pretty good for their price but yes the FDs and red range are pretty tacky. It does surprise me as well that they don’t do some higher end reels. Not necessarily silly £100 things but just some more stuff in say £50-75 range to compete with the stuff that the likes of daiwa, shimano etc put out in that range. Guess they just make enough money off rods, terminal tackle and luggage to not have to worry about reels too much 🤔
I've got quite a few Series 7 reels and have had them for many years. I use them all the time and can't fault them. Feeder, Carp Feeder & Big Feeder.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've got quite a few Series 7 reels and have had them for many years. I use them all the time and can't fault them. Feeder, Carp Feeder & Big Feeder.
Yeah I’ve got the float and feeder, really like the shallow spools and how they are relatively light for fairly budget reels. Have had them maybe 3 years now and never had any issues with them. Tried to get another float one but they’ve been discontinued so maybe drennan are bringing out an upgrade. Bound to be as I just got another shimano instead😅

G20

Site Supporter
Come on Drennan ; why don't you produce a decent reel at a reasonable price?
You're letting your good name down as most of your other tackle is very good.
Bought a couple of FD400 the other year and I have never, ever, had so much line twist when using a method.
They look well made with a bit of quality (even come with 3 spools and the handle folds away nicely) but, never have I experienced so much line twist.
Maybe the red range are better,
Gone back to using my old Shimanos and no problem at all.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Can't fault the Ninja's in their price bracket - just be aware that the 4000LT is not as big as you might imagine.

As a reel for general legering it's fine but if you're looking for a reel that's going to be suitable to chuck a feeder a long way I'd look at the next size up.

Simon

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Can't fault the Ninja's in their price bracket - just be aware that the 4000LT is not as big as you might imagine.

As a reel for general legering it's fine but if you're looking for a reel that's going to be suitable to chuck a feeder a long way I'd look at the next size up.

Simon
6000 might be better, about the same size as the old 3012 Daiwas

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
used a red range float reel for Waggler fishing yesterday never had the line go behind the back of spool so much had a fd before i lost it seemed a better reel have used Shimano Saraha reels for feeding fishing and been reliable so far

richox12

Facing wind and slack line or overfilled and/or with line too thick for the spool diameter causing it to spring off and over the lip. I've never had it happen with either RR or S7. They're skirted spools.

Worst reels I ever had for it were Mitchell Match & 440A and 501's.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never had any issues myself with the series 7s. Have witnessed a few issues with the red range but that was in exceptionally windy conditions.