Red letter days

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You can see a patch of 'bubbles' in the second pic, why I chose that peg, nothing showing though.

W

Whitty

Red letter days are defined on your expectations,catching one barbel a session is a brilliant result on many rivers,if an angler has never caught a chub in their lives,catching 3 or 4 is off the scale,very often feeling that ive sorted out feeding and catching moderate catches of roach give me more pleasure than catching big bags of silvers when they are throwing themselves up the bank,for many years I fished places like Makins,Mallory Park etc,twice a week,in one four week stint I caught 100lbs plus every trip,300lbs the best,I packed up fishing these venues shortly afterwards,as I learnt that you can catch carp on green beads fishing on the surface feeding swimstims,I also fished five totally different methods and baits in one session and caught carp on every one within ten minutes of changing over,no challenge for me,I understand fishing the right methods in a match will give an opportunity to frame,but,when fishing river matches often the best anglers come to the top,just look at Mr.Whittle's record on the Wye,exemplary...

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
One of the best "red letter" days that I had was about twenty five years ago off the beach at Langney Point near Eastbourne.
It was the middle of August, the weather had been warm and windless all week. Sole time!
Two hook flappers with black lug were sent sea-wards courtesy of a pair of Zippy 2500s with ABU 6500CTs strapped to them.
From about 8:30 pm I was in Sole heaven. Double hook-ups almost every time. I caught so many that I started putting them back. I only packed in because I'd run out of bait. Tony Kirrage of Tony's tackle was on the groyne next to me and witnessed and reported my catch to "Sea Angler" magazine. When he saw the amount of sole on the shingle where I'd set up he just said "sexual intercourse me, that's an excrement pile of fish".
I may have substituted a couple of words!

dave brittain 1

Depending on angling ability and age, many of us take for granted what many would deem to be a red letter day which is what Peter may have eluded to. I've had so many I think I may have been greedy but it's one of those sports where the more time and effort you put in generally the greater are the rewards.

Thinking back over the years, one that springs to mind was catching big dog roach on the stick on tidal Tees above Nellies Beck with my best mate on the last weekend of the season. It was unbelievable, we even had to toss a coin to see who had to drive to the tackle shop to get more bait as we ran out half way through the session :ROFLMAO:

One day fishing the feeder I had well over 100lbs of chub on the Scrapyard length of the Newark Dyke and then there was a day on the old Railway lake in Lincoln where a couple of friends and I had a very big weight of tench and rudd with rudd to 2.5lbs. All of these days were when I was a youngster dabbling with match fishing and are some of the fondest memories I have.

In match fishing there are just too many and if I'm honest those early years learning to catch fish and reaping the rewards are hard to beat as there's no pressure, no requirement to perform, just simply going out fishing and enjoying it for the great sport it is.

84fisherman

Andy HLAC
Account Locked
What defines a 'red letter day' for you?

What is a red letter day? Can you define it please?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter

Andy, just reading through the thread should give you the answer. ;)
There can be no definitive answer, everyone has their own take on it dependent on their own expectations and aims, just another aspect of our sport/hobby that makes it so appealing to those that participate in it regardless of their chosen approach.

Alantherose

Site Supporter

Simple really, it's a day that is particularly memorable somehow (for good reasons).

Most of the posts here have gone in too quick on the details (which are as long as a piece of string!)

stikflote

Site Supporter
Did you say french letter day :D:D:D?

Ihave not had many red letter days but got one this morning for a tv licence even the envelopes red ,
Only fishy red letter day ive had is 9 carp to about 9 10 lbs in an hour ,other than that as long us i dont blank

Maverick

Back in the 70s I fished a small pond that was probably very rarely if ever fished, due to the long walk to reach it which invoved walking past the 2 much larger and well fished pools which the M.E.B. (Midlands Electricity Board) had sole fishing rights to back then.

That day accompanied by my Father and cousin we made the long walk upto the pond as I had been nagging them to give it a try for quite a while.

My cousin picked the best looking peg at one end of the pond which only had 3 fishable pegs on it the rest of the surroundings were very overgrown.

My Father chose the other end and I was stuck with the unfavoured peg in the middle.

By the end of the session I had netted 15 2lb roach everyone like peas in a pod and in pristine condition looking like they had never been hooked before. A red letter day I will never forget (until Alzheimers or Dementia kicks in)

And as for my Father and cousin on the 2 favoured pegs .......................... Neither of them caught a fish all day. Amazing how that can happen :love:

Last edited:

BTMS

Site Supporter
Took the wife fishing for a day as thanks for taking me after a stroke (she even went in dec to match where I came second) she had never fish a whip or a pole so I thought it would be a nice change. She took to it like a duck to water. Lin had 40+ roach and perch :mad::mad:o_O:D:D a crucian of 2lb 6oz which I still dream about for myself. Not my best red letter day but it felt like it.:D:D

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Y
The older I get the less important the actual fishing becomes, in fact it's a bonus....To be in the company of friends and loved ones and enjoying my surroundings makes it that 'Red letter day' for me...
Yer soppy aipeth :love:

stikflote

Site Supporter
@84fisherman yes you are right no tv licence ,i really dont know why i have a TV
its that rare that i switch it on, only time is may be once or twice a month, plus
for Formula 1.
Plus i dont agree with a TV licence ,and according to letter it doesnt matter if you dont watch BBC its now any channel
live

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Quite a few for me, crankley point on the Trent, catching a big weight of chub and barbel on the feeder, 30 yrs ago, tidal tees, behind yarm, catching good weights of big Dace on the stick float, listers field on the swale, catching big roach on the stick, burton Joyce on the Trent, great days stick float fishing, big nets of bream to over 100lb, a few of them, I remember well, 167 carp for 336lb match win at the oaks sessay, my best ever match weight, 👍👍👍

84fisherman

Andy HLAC
Account Locked
@84fisherman yes you are right no tv licence ,i really dont know why i have a TV
its that rare that i switch it on, only time is may be once or twice a month, plus
for Formula 1.
Plus i dont agree with a TV licence ,and according to letter it doesnt matter if you dont watch BBC its now any channel
live
You only need a TV licence if you watch live TV or BBC iPlayer.

It doesn’t matter if you have a TV or not.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'd consider a red letter day to be any day that exceeds my expectations, preferably by a significant margin. However, that is totally dependent on the venue concerned and my own previous experiences of it. It might have the results of others on the same water given some small consideration, but it'll never be a major factor. Where I have no previous experience of the water, previous experiences fishing similar venues will hold sway.

One of my red letter days will be insignificant to some and might be barely credible to others. It may include catching a large bag of otherwise unremarkable fish, or it might be just one fish of a size that's significant to me or the water I'm fishing.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Red letter day for me would be a natural river venue and catching plenty of quality fish alongside a friend or my son and us both having a great day.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter

When I fish natural waters it's easier for me describe. Now that I have a few months of pleasure fishing commercials ahead of me, I struggle to think of what a 'red letter day' would look like? There was a long thread on here a while back 'Have commercials ruined me?'... I was thinking of posting a comment or thread with the antithesis 'Have natural waters ruined me?' but don't want to drag up any anti-commercial sentiment again. Maybe if I started entering matches as I used to love to do in club matches on commercials I'd be able to better define what a 'red letter day' looks like. In that case it would be winning a match. What defines it for you?
A tax demand landing on door step mid February 😞