Red letter days

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What defines a 'red letter day' for you?

When I fish natural waters it's easier for me describe. Now that I have a few months of pleasure fishing commercials ahead of me, I struggle to think of what a 'red letter day' would look like? There was a long thread on here a while back 'Have commercials ruined me?'... I was thinking of posting a comment or thread with the antithesis 'Have natural waters ruined me?' but don't want to drag up any anti-commercial sentiment again. Maybe if I started entering matches as I used to love to do in club matches on commercials I'd be able to better define what a 'red letter day' looks like. In that case it would be winning a match. What defines it for you?

JLK

Maybe if I started entering matches as I used to love to do in club matches on commercials I'd be able to better define what a 'red letter day' looks like. In that case it would be winning a match. What defines it for you?
I think you should do this sooner rather than later.
I'd be interested to see the pre and post match analysis and questions you'll end up posting. 👍🏻

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I think if you factor in the expectation level prior to the start of a session, then any where you surpass it. 3 for me. 1. First of just a few 100lb match weights to date on a commercial ( i don't buy into the statement these are always easy). 2. 14 proper bream on a river session. 3. 10 decent Barbel on a low clear river.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think you should do this sooner rather than later.
I'd be interested to see the pre and post match analysis and questions you'll end up posting. 👍🏻
Will probably go like this... Drawn a flier... still beaten both sides by Carl Jones (local expert from what I can tell). :LOL:

squimp

Site Supporter
Read the book of the same name and you will get 50 detailed descriptions.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Red Letter Day? Can it be defined? :unsure: Somehow I doubt it as everyone will have their own criteria.............

Sitting beside an old Estate Lake at dawn watching the mist burn off and a first patch of tiny bubbles appear beside a patch of lilies.
Sitting in a punt with 2 good friends and seeing the look in the eyes of one of them as you net a Tench for him that he's been trying to catch for ages.
Promising a friend that he will catch his first ever Golden Tench after a lifetime of trying and making it happen for him.
The first fish you ever caught.
Winning your first ever match.
A Kingfisher perched on your rod.
Sitting around after a days fishing with mates sharing a few beers, laughing and talking ********.
Ending the day with a Golden Nugget.

Just a few of mine but there's so many after over 60 years, the list is endless and that's the beauty of angling. ;)

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
What defines a 'red letter day' for you?

When I fish natural waters it's easier for me describe. Now that I have a few months of pleasure fishing commercials ahead of me, I struggle to think of what a 'red letter day' would look like? There was a long thread on here a while back 'Have commercials ruined me?'... I was thinking of posting a comment or thread with the antithesis 'Have natural waters ruined me?' but don't want to drag up any anti-commercial sentiment again. Maybe if I started entering matches as I used to love to do in club matches on commercials I'd be able to better define what a 'red letter day' looks like. In that case it would be winning a match. What defines it for you?
In my business a demand letter from HMRC

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
For me I could describe most fishing outings as red letter days just because I really love fishing. The only thing which can spoil it is breaking something I can’t easily replace at the time. I don’t even mind blanking, which I rarely do anyway. It’s just nice to get out and sit beside some water.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Like you said - on natural water it’s easy to define, especially when the stock is wild.

For me on commercials it would be all about hitting the targets, maybe I’ve got information on a particular fish that I set out for and I manage to catch it, or knowing what weights a species goes up to in that particular drink - and I go and target them and catch a net of the biggest ones - whilst managing to avoid getting my mat covered in bream snot.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Haha when I fish commercials - if I catch a Bream or two it is a bonus, along with a big Perch or two, that would make my day.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Mist rising on an estate lake, even though I only caught a Perch that day, I plan to fish there a lot more next summer, hopefully with my dad in tow and catching him a few Tench.

himley1.jpg
himley2.jpg