Record Roach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricktop

Snap
Yo guys

Just been reading Anglers Mail and seen some big piccys of roach. Is the record really 4lb 3oz? I thought it was bigger.

Laugh if you wish, but I believe I know of a venue holding larger. It hardly gets fished, very remote, and is full of natural foods.

I caught a very large one a few years ago, but wouldn't like to guess a weight now. Not sure if my brain is exagerating the size with time?

I'm pretty excited at this thought. As it happens, I've got several pints of hemp boiled up and a half pint of casters. It looks like rain out, but I'm gonna go have a bash this afternoon.

I might be wrong. Could've been a hybrid of somethin, but can't get it out of me head now. Gotta have a bash

Lid

If you catch a record roach, be sure to wear your MD's cap for the photo!! [8D]

Are you willing to disclose the location of this magic venue then? I reckon it's worth a pint. [:D]

Seriously if you catch a large roach from there, you could keep a scale back and get it analysed to see whether it is a real roach.

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
I bet theres plenty of venues which hold the record roach, but havnt been cauht. I also reckon people may have caught some above the record without knowing it. I know of a site that have a perch for sale much larger than the record, you have to become a member though, and they don't seem to let many people in- wel they never responded to my application!
Anyway, good luck bricktop- hope you catch a monster!
[}:)]The percher[}:)]

Del-J

' Victor '
Yes Bricktop the record Roach is 4-03-00 though I thought it was bigger than that myself.

Mind you I would love to catch one half that size. My biggest at the moment is 1-14-06, but I still live in hope of beating that sometime.[^]

Del
victor_meldrew75.jpg

I DO believe it.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I hate to be a prophet of doom, but theres more chance of it being a roach/rudd or a roach/bream hybrid than a true roach. To claim the record would probably mean killing the fish so it could be examined an expert.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Hi bricktop, Don't tell a soul of what you are about to do!!! Just do it, then you can sing !! BUT keep the location to yourself.! IMHO I would rather use chopped worm over your bed of caster, and for roach that size use tail end of a LOBWORM don't mess about with little baits for fish that size. Have you seen the gob on 'em. Can catch 'em 3lb plus in the Royal canal in Ireland on LOBWORM. GOOD LUCK !!

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Lid

I'd have thought it could be identified by DNA analysis from a few sample cells of the fish, that's why I suggested a scale. However I don't actually know whether anyone does this (yet).

Bricktop

Snap
Cheers guys

Had a good session, but as you would probably have guessed it, I didn't catch the big one.

To be honest, I felt pretty silly when I arrived at the venue. With all the excitment and hype of the morning, I came down to earth with a bump when I saw the conditions and really contemplated the chances of catching the big one "just like that" (know what I mean?). Silly me![:eek:)]

Biggest roach was spot on 2lb with the net weight deducted. It was definetly a roach and I've had much bigger from this venue. I had a few big perch to 2lb aswell.

For anyone interested, I don't think the venue has a name. It is not owned by any clubs or individuals (may have been at one time though) It is very old and remote and lies at the top of a valley on the edge of the pennines. When it gets bleak, it gets damn bleak up there! It is not a natural venue as it is now, but may have been at some time and then dammed. There are also in the valley some very old remains of mills, so I presume it once belonged to them. It is fed by a stream so clean I would drink from, and filters out over a manmade waterfall type weir thing on the corner. I've seen about 3 people fish it in the last 6 years, so must be well balanced with the environment (semi naturalised or whatever) for the fish to maintain such weights without being fed by anglers. The other anglers I have seen there, and I don't wish for this to sound crude, haven't really appeared to know much about fishing, and I really don't mean for that to sound disrespectfull (god know's, somedays I wonder if I know anything!). I've never seen anyone else catch anything other than perch. So I guess you could say it's potential is pretty untapped. Sound too good to be true? - lol

As for what baits the Roach are going to take, I couldn't say at the moment. I'm gonna have to start experimenting again. I'm sure that the last large one I caught a couple of year ago was just on maggot.

I believe joe1987 lives quite close by. I might take him for a few sessions. It would be good to have a maggot drowners witness or for even him to catch it, I think he's only a young lad. I'll try to get in touch.

Anyhows. Yes, I gotta admit it's a possibility the big one is gonna be a hybrid, but until it's in the net, who knows? Worth a bash me thinx. I'm definetly not gonna kill it. It's not worth that. If I get a good couple of photos, possibly a scale, and a witness, I'll be more than happy.

Until that time, I shall keep having a go, and hope to update ya soon. I suppose now is gonna be the best time to catch whilst they are still carrying eh?

Cheers guys![;)]

ken age 63

' Gin & Tonic '
god i havent caught a good roach for years,ive got quite excited here thinking about climbing up there with all the gear,in the cold winds,its a bit like eastenders cant wait to find out,but as far as the climb and the wind ,na ill have another gin and tonic,

ken neil

Roppa

I really hope you're luck Bricktop and they do turn out to be true Roach. It could be that if the water is so bleak and clear that they don't have much competition or even much spawning success, thus allowing them to heap the weight on ........whatever.........Good Luck, it's got to be worth a cast.

joe1987

'Darwener'
Well that sounds great bricktop. Sounds like a perfect spot the way you describe it! I can imagine it being very very bleak and windy if its near the penines and at high ground. Sounds like a job for late spring me thinks but would like to join you any time mate.

*)*Joey*(*

Lid

Bricktop, if you give away the exact location, you could well end up with 100's of anglers descending on it! If I was you I'd try and catch a few good ones, find out exactly what they are and then still keep stum.

PS Please PM me the OS map reference. [:D]

Last edited:

Bricktop

Snap
yo lid - lol. I like your style - lol[;)]

I'm sure I could blag joe1987 into keeping it a secret - lol - there are ways and means when your stuck up on a moor - lol {only joking joe m8 [;)]}

I'll play it by ear for now. I probably shouldn't have mentioned anything thinking about it. It is quite a big bold thing to be talking of a venue that may hold a record. This could all turn out to be an embarrasing experience (but so what?!?!, I've embarrased myself before and I'm sure as damnit gonna do it again - hehe)

As I said. I'll keep yer posted. Got some more match venues to spend my time practicing on for the moment {unfortunetly}, but my new venue isn't going to go away over night. Also got loads of revision for Uni aswell. Exams are just round the corner now - eeek

Must prioritize! (yeah! right! - hehe)

Also, what's this I hear about a MD's cap? Where can I get one of them from then? R They free to forum members? - hehe

crusty

Hi Bricktop
I fish a water very similar to the one you describe, edge of the moors, spring fed, thriveing on neglect.
It was stocked in the early eighties, and a few roach bream and tench in the early nineties. It had two carp just below twenty pounds and twenty around ten, some hefty tench and roach and a huge chub that weighed almost six pounds but was incredably long.
Then five years ago a club took over, and had it netted and the carp sold on, about six to eight escaped the nets and are still present, it was re-stocked on a mini scale, active for a couple of years then left alone again.
I believe your claim of huge roach, and possibly other species too.

Get in there, and if you want any help, let me know, I don't live far, and I can keep a secret[;)]

crusty

Lid

quote:Also, what's this I hear about a MD's cap? Where can I get one of them from then? R They free to forum members?
Dave's from Yorkshire, so what do you think?

Seriously though, sales of MD items go a little towards Dave's generosity in funding and maintaining this fantastic site.

See here for MD merchandise.

Apache

Good luck then mate, and I hope you get one.

-------------------------
Tight Lines
Matt headbang.gif

DataFile.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com

Status
Not open for further replies.