Recommend me a comfortable chair ...

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
... to sit on for a couple of hours surfing t'internet?

Just over a year ago I paid a fair bit for a leather swivel chair with adjustable height.

It was perfectly comfy, once I had the height set right, and after 12 months, the leather looks like new.

But the hydraulic (gas?) height adjustment is buggered, after a couple of minutes it drops, an inch at a time, very sharply.
Wife came in to give me some orders last night, and thought I was having a fit. Every ten seconds or so, I twitched and grunted, as the bloody thing dropped me.
I've tried everything I can to make it stable, to no avail. And of course, it's out of guarantee now.

I am no lightweight, so it needs to be robust!

bluemack

Site Supporter
... to sit on for a couple of hours surfing t'internet?

Just over a year ago I paid a fair bit for a leather swivel chair with adjustable height.

It was perfectly comfy, once I had the height set right, and after 12 months, the leather looks like new.

But the hydraulic (gas?) height adjustment is buggered, after a couple of minutes it drops, an inch at a time, very sharply.
Wife came in to give me some orders last night, and thought I was having a fit. Every ten seconds or so, I twitched and grunted, as the bloody thing dropped me.
I've tried everything I can to make it stable, to no avail. And of course, it's out of guarantee now.

I am no lightweight, so it needs to be robust!
Could,nt you set it at the height you want it then put a bolt through to keep it in position.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have a large vintage Windsor stick armchair, with a cushion made out of high density foam and covered by a upholsterer mate, proper comfy and you can lean back as well

cost me nothing, found it in a house that we were sent to renovate, turned out to be nearly completely furnished, and when we asked about the furniture and items, we were told to skip em,

bo11ox to that thought michael, salvage is the answer, not only did I have the Windsor, but a really nice mahogany bedroom set, two sets of 2 over 4 chests of drawers and a gentlemans wardrobe

also had a really comfy victorian club chair, which the same upholsterer recovered in damask for me at a very good price, this chair has been nicknamed "The Mogadon" due to its ability to lull me to sleep as I snuggle into it

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The chair in our control room broke "all by itself" while nobody was near it, it kept dropping just like yours.

I took a couple of decent jubilee clips to work one night, set it at MY comfortable height and fastened the jubilee clips around it...it never dropped again even after the 26 stone African guy who "didn't break it" in the first place had been sat on it all night.

breadflake

Site Supporter
You could also use a piece of sink waste pipe cut to length and put over the gas piston or
renew it, cheap enough.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
The chair in our control room broke "all by itself" while nobody was near it, it kept dropping just like yours.

I took a couple of decent jubilee clips to work one night, set it at MY comfortable height and fastened the jubilee clips around it...it never dropped again even after the 26 stone African guy who "didn't break it" in the first place had been sat on it all night.

The simplest solutions are the best, thanks Trogg!
And it cost nowt, I already had a couple of spare clips in my shed.

This site is worth the subscription money for the practical advice alone!
(y):)