Recommend me a Coarse Fishing Book(s)

FadingLikeDecay

I'm looking for recommendations for 1 or 2 Coarse Fishing books; the only book I currently have is a repurchased copy of A Passion for Angling. I've had other books in the past and may still have some in my parents attic but, I quite fancy 1 or 2 new books as well. I've already had a brief look on Amazon and there are so many to choose from. What I'm looking for is something that has plenty of illustrations of different rig types, knot tieing guides, float type usage, etc... Though I'm unlikely to ever use a pole/whip or specifically target carp, I don't mind if any recommended books have dedicated sections on those aspects of coarse fishing, it'll to help me better understand what gets discussed on the forums.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Would YouTube not be better?

I might have a go at adding to my blog to cover the things you mention but for now there may be some sections that might help. I do concentrate on pole fishing and commercials but that it because if how and where I fish most frequently. But there are also more general posts.

I have written a complete beginner's guide to pole fishing and while the whole thing may not be of interest the first section, a glossary of pole fishing terms may be of interest as may section 2 on the history of the pole.

The only knots I use are the figure of eight for loops, knotless on eyed hooks, whipping on spades using a tyer and a cow hitch for attaching rigs to dacrons.

FadingLikeDecay

Would YouTube not be better?
For sure it has its place but I'm currently without a PC at home; the last one's graphics card blew up and I recently had to take the work PC back to the office since my home-working ended and looking at stuff on an old Iphone screen isn't ideal. However, I also quite enjoy stretching out on the sofa reading a good hardback book; having something tangible to take around with me is also a nice change to being stuck in front of a screen, which I do for most of the day anyway.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’ve got The Complete Book of Legering by Bob Roberts & The Complete Book of River Fishing by Len Arbury. Both books were invaluable when I started fishing the Trent for methods & rigs. The Bob Roberts one has just been revised I believe. You can still get hold of both of these mostly second hand but money well spent imo.

MarkW

I’ve got The Complete Book of Legering by Bob Roberts & The Complete Book of River Fishing by Len Arbury. Both books were invaluable when I started fishing the Trent for methods & rigs. The Bob Roberts one has just been revised I believe. You can still get hold of both of these mostly second hand but money well spent imo.
In the same series, The Complete Book of Coarse Fishing, and The Complete Book of Floatfishing are both useful and comprehensive books (there's The Complete Book of Matchfishing, too).

Simon R

Site Supporter
The Bob Roberts book is excellent - unfortunately the revisions are, I believe, solely online

The book is still well worth a read- the basic principles and styles of legering are well covered, although it is perhaps aimed more at river anglers rather than stillwater enthusiasts.

Price has gone up a bit though - I bought a copy for three quid in 2017

Simon

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
In the same series, The Complete Book of Coarse Fishing, and The Complete Book of Floatfishing are both useful and comprehensive books (there's The Complete Book of Matchfishing, too).
Just ordered The Complete Book of Float Fishing from Amazon On your recommendation.

£4.97 for the hardback incl. postage. Not bad!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The Rising Antenna... by Jim Baxter is a great read, full of methods, diagrams, and info
And for a cracking read full of the utter joy of fishing How To Fish, by Chris Yates

ravey

Any of the books by MarkW on here. Match Fishing by Ivan Marks. Also Float Fishing by the same. Rising Antenna by Jim Baxter is also a good read and reference book.

MarkW

The Rising Antenna... by Jim Baxter is a great read, full of methods, diagrams, and info
Jim's new book on top and bottom floats is making good progress towards publication - I don't know the date yet - but it's one I'm looking forward to reading.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Jim's new book on top and bottom floats is making good progress towards publication - I don't know the date yet - but it's one I'm looking forward to reading.
Is it available for pre order...?