Recommend a sander please?

Philocalist

I'm certain there are plenty of people on here who are way more familiar with these beasties than I am, so can anyone make a solid recommendation, preferably based on experience? I'm looking for a palm sander and at this stage not too bothered about whether or not its cordless - want something decent but dont want to break the bank (definitely have no use for anything remotely top-end / designed for commercial / pro use)
Apart from any specific recommendations, what features etc should I be looking at pre-purchase?
Ta!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I had a Black & Decker one for years - can’t remember the model - which was excellent, was doing a lot of furniture restoring with my wife.

Sold it to a mate in work who needed one to maintain boats at the local rowing club when our son came along and we had no time to continue the projects. Think it’s still going strong.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What are you planning on sanding and what finish are you looking to achieve?

I've two - a Bosch which uses rectangular sanding sheets and is great for walls and such like. The action is more figure of 8ish so can leave marks when using coarse paper.
I've also got a Makita which uses circular sheets and gives a lot finer finish with a random action, so great for finishing timber, Corian, polishing granites and marbles, etc.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Makita 18volt cordless random orbit, its also sold as a corded version

lovely bit a kit, takes velcro backed pads, reasonable dust extraction ( I mate it up to my Henry ) ideal for joinery, furniture etc

pads available in screwfix in a range of grades

had it about 4 years now, never missed a beat,

angel

Site Supporter
I recently got a palm sander, after searching all over to get the feel of them I narrowed it down to Black and Decker and Bosch.
I bought the latter as it felt nicer to hold.
If you remove the dust filter box there is an exhaust onto which you can attach a vaccuum pipe for better extraction. 👍

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I bought s Bosch one a wee while ago. It does what it says on the box. Not a lot of dust as it has a built-in sucky thing.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Makita 18volt cordless random orbit, its also sold as a corded version

lovely bit a kit, takes velcro backed pads, reasonable dust extraction ( I mate it up to my Henry ) ideal for joinery, furniture etc

pads available in screwfix in a range of grades

had it about 4 years now, never missed a beat,

I've got the corded version and it is excellent.