recommend a cheap feeder rod for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
hi everyone,
can someone recommend a feeder rod to fish stillwaters for small roach, rudd, tench, bream etc. Only problem is i have a max of 60 to spend on this new tool.
cheers

r k vickery

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Rob,

Here is a link to a similar question in one of the other forums http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/357 which can help you out for the time being

Regards, Dave

AlexR

i have a maver retribution feeder costs 80, but should be able to get one for 50 at a show or something (i did).

;)

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Rob, are you still looking for a feeder rod?

chill out go fishing

vectradog

Rob
Suggest you try E.Bay.co.uk.
Go into Sports,fishing.rods excellent site.
Or try Dave Havers at www.tacklebargains.co.uk
Good luck
Vectradog

bart4real

Rob27, take a look at the kamasan 11 foot feeder. They have been around for a while now but I only just noticed how good they are. They are as good as any of the modern Carbotech/carbonactive rods available but at a third of the price so you can't go wrong. I would imagine you could get one for around 40.
A shop near me stocks them if you can't find any where you live.

splodger

surely the one single point everyone is missing here is that there are no "cheap" good rods to be had.
It is like anything else in life, the more you pay the better the quality.
I have found out the hard way that it is false economy to buy cheap tackle.
The best advice i would give is to hold on to your sixty quid and save another fifty or so and then shop around.
I recently obtained a daiwa tdsl 11/13 multi tip power quiver rod (retailing at 175.00) for 95.00.
Don't be afraid to barter with tackle suppliers - it does work !

SPLODGER alcoholic2.gif

"a bad days fishing is better than a good days work"

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:
surely the one single point everyone is missing here is that there are no "cheap" good rods to be had.

SPLODGER alcoholic2.gif

I cannot agree with that. In many cases the expensive goods are well over priced. I wouldn't call my generation x float rod expensive, but I find it is a cracker. My feeder rod only cost 50 quid and that does the business. My pole is a cheapie but as Ray can testify I can catch fish with it.

I have always been of the opinion that buying really expensive tackle would not make me a better fisherman, only a poorer one, besides I could never afford expensive tackle and go fishing. I am even going to WMAC in a couple of weeks to buy a cheap specimen rod.

There I go again, causing trouble. I should have started IMO.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

bart4real

I accept that there may be plenty of anglers who ahve been ripped off within the tackle trade but I am prepared to stick with my original statement and the Kamasan 11ft feeder rod that I use is superb for playing carp, bream and anything else you wish to fish for. There is great emphasis being placed on Carbon active/carbotech rods but are they really worth the money? There have been some spectacular catches with these rods so far, but unfortunately, they have all been anglers. The reps who promote them would sell you anything to get their commission so it is better to listen to anglers who have nothing to gain by offering advice. As I said, I will stand by what I post here in saying that this rod is equally as good as anything they are trying to off load at the moment, but for 40 you really are getting a good deal.

Polepot

Poles
Geoff,

I'm with you on this one. I quite agree 3 Cheers for common sense. I bought an expensive pole which I like and justified it because it is my main approach to fishing, and I would not change that decision. But my ledger rod I bought from WMAC it is a Ron Thopmson and it has served me very well.

Tackle is like HIFI's The more you spend the better it gets, or does it? It is probably better to say the improvement is not as great as the greater cost.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Edited by - polepot on 23 May 2002 8:15:22 PM

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nick

If I could aford it I would buy a better pole. I fancy the Leeda modular, but I am saving to move to Spain and there is no way I could justify that kind of outlay.

My old hercules managed to bag me a 11lb 12 oz carp, and several tench up to 4 pound so I can't fault it.

In fact when I came back to fishing I used a cheap rod from Argos, (kingfisher) and had some good fun with it. If I was still fishing for little bits I would still use it but the generation X is better for the larger fish.

Still if Nuddy can blank with 10 thousand pounds worth of tackle I can with 5 hundred pounds worth of tackle.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally, (IMO Geoff lol), I have seen many an angler part with wads of hard earned cash in the belief that the tackle he is buying will catch him more fish. In reality it's the angler's knowledge and experience that catches him the fish.
The tackle he uses does have a part to play from casting accuracies to striking response, but without the bite in the first place there is no fish.

I must agree with bart and when he says that the spectacular catches have been anglers, the changing face of fishing tackle is to keep up with technology but can also be used to keep interest in new sales and that 'must have' feeling is all part of the sales pitch

Dave

splodger

every time a new product comes on the market (paste, pellets,feeders, floats etc)most anglers will try them.
Is that not a "must have" situation ?
The bottom line is that we are all trying to improve ourselves.we need to have that new piece of kit to try.
I think it is a mental thing more than anything.
We all have that "must have" philosophy.
In my case,i only use Daiwa rods and shimano reels,that is what i'm comfortable with.
They are both established brand names and as a consequence are usually expensive,but i still say you get what you pay for.
alcoholic2.gif
SPLODGER

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:
every time a new product comes on the market (paste, pellets,feeders, floats etc)most anglers will try them.
Is that not a "must have" situation ?
The bottom line is that we are all trying to improve ourselves.we need to have that new piece of kit to try.

alcoholic2.gif
SPLODGER

I am just grateful that I am not one of the "most anglers". I reckon if every angler in Swansea thought like me the local tackle shop would soon be out of business. I have seen a lot of gullible people going in to buy things cos they have seen them in the angling press.

I sometimes wonder how much these "experts" are paid to test the tackle and bait.

I only go in to buy bait, usually maggots and casters, and to replace tackle I have lost or damaged.

I am not a tackle tart, and I just fish for the pure enjoyment and the peace and quiet, when I can get it.

Any way living in Wales has taught me to be a tight wad, it is not only a Yorkshire trait. LOL

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi all, good topic!

You are all right in various ways.

When I was in business, I studied Marketing strategy and the Institute of Purchasing Guides.

When you buy from a Brand Leader, you get a good product (rarely the best) as no one lasts for long selling defective product.
You get a hefty on cost to pay for their hype advertising, freebies to the trade, Jollies for their sponsored teams, all of which is paid for by the brand follower Angler to the detriment of the product quality.
You also get a good after sales service in the event of defect (they need to keep their name high) BUT you get totally ripped off for spares needed through your negligence or accident.
Example.
Daiwa replaced a 21.95 rod for me as it was defective with a 61 .95 Vulcan 1200 feeder rod inc. 3 tips! (Obviously overstocked, but I love the feel of the rod!)
However, I lost the light oz tip, my fault! So they want 19.95 to replace it?????
2.00 less than the original price of the defective rod, for just 1 tiny part. Called recovery margin.
Finally, you get peace of mind that you have the in equipment, whereas logically you know you are being ripped off.
You also want to display status.
Otherwise Rolls Royce would never sell a metal box on wheels that costs some 25 times more than a perfectly adequate method of transport.

Some people believe that if they buy Tiger Woods endorsed Golf Clubs, they will play like him!

I used to sit behind Ivan Marks at Matches in the late 70s.
He would get to his peg late, dive in his box, where everything was usually laying in an inch of water, pull out a rusty reel, seen him snap a float, because he couldnt find one quite right and fish with the stub!
All the while he was selling his name on Daiwa's rods and loads of brand people were buying them!

Just look too at the marketing strategy.

Every 2 years or so, a New super product is launched, at a Premium Price.
This snares the 15 to 20% that splodge describes as must haves
Those must be protected for the future, so that price holds for about 6 months and then the Mid range is launched. IE Technium, Antares, Cantana, Hyperloop, all together, all much the same, but priced in bands. All GOOD product. And perfectly adequate for the average Angler.
This drives a high percentage up a band more than they would really have wanted to pay.

Having made your choice, the marketing ploy is to say Not in stock, but instead of 20 more, we can get you the next one up for a Tenner and thats how I got the Catana 14 ft rod instead of the one I ordered (although I only agreed 5 lol)

Then, with age and the end of the cycle, Prices tumble for really top stuff, (probably where Giles is at with his brand) or they are withdrawn and launched in a different Country, to avoid upsetting the Brandies here.
My defective Daiwa SEL rod was an American Market product, which I was never told until it went wrong!

A further factor is the overall package needed.
If you just fish carp puddles, you might as well buy your limited needs at the top end.

If, like me, you like variety, then you have to be a Rolls Royce buyer with more money than sense, to buy all the kit!

I reported yesterday the 7 Pike I caught spinning.
Now my Spinning kit (because I didnt even know if I could find venues, would like it, or have the time) Cost as follows

1 ten-foot telescopic rod,
1 Silverman 5 Ball Bearing (YES 5 and it is as sweet as a nut) Reel
1 Rod bag, (in which I carry my Trout 3 piece old Shim powerloop quiver rod made up, landing net handle, spinning rod and reel, bank stick and rest, So its big!)
3 part kit on offer from Askari 21.85! And a free gift of Steel and filleting knife!

Now these, on the 3 occasions I have been spinning, have landed 12 Pike, behaved absolutely spot on and I have confidence in them now, which I never had before, but at that price it didnt matter.
However, MY insistence on quality, has been to load the reel with 14lb Berkeley Fireline, and spend over 50 on the lures, special coated sea trace wire and expensive scissors, crimps etc.
BUT I can use these on Dead bait rods, other applications like barbell fishing with the reel and braid etc.

If I find that Pike in excess of the low doubles I have caught are more of a problem, I can upgrade just the rod! But all indications are favourable at present.

I have seen many people buy the top gear and then load it with cheap line, buy low cost baits and get totally out of balance.

I have already spent over 100 on Power Pro line alone after I was recommended to it having failed miserably with cheaper braid.
In my Humble opinion, the end presentation is the bit the fish bites at and quality hooks, lines and all terminal tackle is required to even be able to test the theory of whether the rod and reel can cope with the fish. I also believe Ivan Marks would have landed them on a Billiard Cue and Cotton Reel!

Finally, the Press also misleads with un biased Tackle Tests
They recently tested 20 ft rods, admitted that Chapmans was truly a MAP concept rod, both selling for (99.95, but gave the verdict to Chapmans, for some minor reason.
They neglected to research that if you bought the true MAP brand from Used Tackle, You received a 40 (again, probably over inflated value) Keep net FOC!

Incidentally, Used are also selling the Blue Diamond Leeda Carp Waggler and Super Method Feeder rods for 40 each instead of their Brand launch price of 159.95!
Do you really believe that these, great rods as they are, were worth 4 times their current price when launched?
BUT Leeda fans paid it and then said You get what you pay for LOL
Yeah, until the new product comes out!

Sorry to go on, but having spent my working life in Sales and Marketing, I never cease to be amazed at the different strategies applied.
Top Tip,
Buy Okuma now!
Incredible quality and value for money, BUT it will alter as they become known and the Brand demand starts.
Low advertising now, but will have to be added to the price as they strive to defend growth.
Their niche too is as a genuine manufacturer, unlike Shimano, who are marketing and supply company.

BUT dont dismiss the Comfort factor!
It has been proved that people drive better, play better and I assume fish better, if they have brand loyalty, so perhaps the extra is WORTH it for some.

In the old days of computers, people used to say Youll never get sacked for buying IBM; such was their Brand Image.
Then along came Bill Gates!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

splodger

what a great sport ours is when you can have a conversation like this with such a wide spectrum of views !
Trev, you have scared me to bits, mate !
The next time i go into a tackle shop to buy a piece of kit i will either be full of questions or a quivering wreck !
Great reply though.
Keep up the good work.

SPLODGER alcoholic2.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dont discount the confidence factor Splodge,
If it feels right youre part way there.

Also, not having a market leader means that the other boys dont try so hard to keep prices down!

AND the cheapjack Poor Quality rip off boys get more sales as they are the only ones offering cheap! Double Glazing went through this Scenario!

So every market needs the 'Followers of Fashion'and research into better product only takes place if you are chasing a leader, or endeavouring to stay in front.

There is always a Price/Income/Desire/Need to balance.

A desire for a particular product is not a Need for it , if something can do the job equally as well.
However, if belief is strong enough and taking into account the 'comfort' factor and not having any misgivings over the finance involved, a desire can translate into a genuine need and relaxed performance will usually give more satisfaction and improved results.

So, each to his own and dont knock the Rolls Royce man, he may NEED that status (and its his money)
Equally the build and bodge it himself boy has probably a great deal of satisfaction out of producing a working solution to his own budget and he may have even more money than the first guy!(Doubtful at these extremes lol)

Basically Cheap aint always nasty and Dear aint always the best, but you have more chance of those extremes being the case!

Chit , I'll shut up, it's one of my hobby horses!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Quote:- Equally the build and bodge it himself boy has probably a great deal of satisfaction out of producing a working solution to his own budget and he may have even more money than the first guy!

Describes me to a T. Never swayed by "Sales and Marketing" but always go for the bargain basement goods. As I said; all the time it catches me fish I am happy. At least I have money in the bank for a holiday or, as is more than likely, a decent pint of bitter.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

breambasher

after reading through all the answers and solutions i reckon your all right if it suits buy it if its cheap and does the job buy it if its exspensive and you can afford it buy it.but one thing to remember is can you get spares for it and if so how much .after sales service is a must for me.i dont mind buying second hand equipment either as long as its still in the shops,recently bought a cracking 16m matchwinner 711 with 5 spare tops 300 quid bargain.i also own a 7m shaky pole which i use down at drayton absolute animal stopper actually lifted a house brick up with it cost 25 quid fully elasticated.but saying all that i thought someone wanted info on a cheap feeder rod and im sorry dont know of any good cheap feeders.you could always look in angling times forsale pages.

im mad for it

Status
Not open for further replies.