Rebuilding a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Has anyone on here ever built their own PC and if so did you do it from a kit or just buy the components seperately?
Thr reason im asking is my PC is now on its last legs and way outdated and rather than buy one I was considering rebuilding my own.

Any ideas, help, suggestions advice etc will be appreciated

Tony

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
rebuilding your own is not that easy. Firstly it depends on whether your motherboard will accept a better and more pwerful processor. Adding DVD readers, cd roms, larger hard drives, graphics cards and sound cards is not too bad.Extra memory is a case of getting the right kind and you also need to know that your fans and power supply can handle all the extra work load.Where do you live TONY. I had mine built up in Leeds for me they only charged for the cost of the parts and 20 for building it. That way I have some come back if need be. Hope this helps ....Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Tony

Hi Haydn and thanks for the reply,

There are a lot of points there that I never thought about , it might be best starting afresh all things considered,

Leeds is a bit far for me as I live in Shropshire at the weekends and work around during the week but i'll ask around cheers

Tony

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you do fancy building your own, it's not as hard as it may at first seem [8D] and there is a good article here:

http://www.romulus2.com/articles/guides/alan/alpc.htm

Dave

(Footnote: The article is a little outdated but gives you the general information)

Last edited:

watty

Tony i've never built a pc but i've repaired mine a few times, with a bit of patience I can't see it being to hard, check out this site for parts or a full system,
http//www.microdirect.co.uk

BrianP

hi Tony,

building a pc was once a way of saving quite a bit. Now its only a way of getting the exact spec you fancy.
Buying parts from the shows was always hit and miss. The queues for 'returns' sure showed the dodgy dealers and the ok ones. Stand alongside a stall for a few minutes and see how they handle a customer with a faulty part, its an eye opener.
The actual build is very straight forward and its almost impossible to plug the wrong bit in the wrong slot/connector/socket.
Its very hard to just buy what you need when at the shows as they are alladdins caves to techies and wanna be builders.
Draw up a list of what you need from the system and then visit a show or two to get a feel for the prices. Look for trends in prices ( ram has a yo-yo pricing structure )
It fun building a pc and at the end of it you really know your system and why each part was fitted, rather than buy a 'box' and learn that the bits you now own are a compromise.
One golden rule: computer parts usually work 1st time or not at all. If they dont its temting to think you can mess about and get the thing going ... wrong, it is the part that is wrong and not your logic/skill/method.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Brian P.

I wouldnt join any club that would have me as a member (Groucho Marx 1890-1977)brian@ukpollards.com

Smaggot

Hi Tony,
Its not so hard as long as youve got a bit of patiance, plenty of good sound advice from the other members. Iv been a install tech for Mesh and Dell, I still have a lot to learn formats changing all the time Im re studying at the moment to catch up with new tech.
Ive got a complete guide to Own build if you would like a copy I would be happy to zip it and send it on to you.
If I can help with any advice feel free to ask.

Smaggot

Status
Not open for further replies.