Really Cheap and Old Whips

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have a 3m Chevron Telesnatcher whip I have used on canals since I was a kid. Gudgeon bend it double and if you hook a big Perch you better hold on.

Anyone else use tackle as old and battered as this? I presume it's fibreglass as it doesn't feel Carbon.

I did buy a new 3m whip for about £40 from Tackle UK but they came back to me saying it was out of stock, but I didn't really mind as I have no qualms about using the Telesnatcher. For such a simple purpose of catching fish on a 3m whip I don't think you'd really get much benefit out of using a better whip? Not for how often and what I use it for anyway.

Just thinking about it as I might go on the canal this week and it always brings back memories pulling out this reddish/brown whip.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I tend not to do much whip fishing but, when I do I use my old ( probably older than you Zerkalo ) Shimano 6m Diaflash. As good today as when I first bought it. I tend to use it on tiny rivers and drains for Roach fishing when the water is gin clear. No elastic simple flick tip .... Owd Skiool. 🤣👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Literally just bought a couple rigs for the whip I got for Christmas as still haven't used it yet. Was too many carp to use it on the commercial and after yesterday's perch I'm not sure I want to risk it on the canal til the silvers wake up again.

In terms of old tackle a couple of my multipliers are old hand me downs. Not exactly sure how old they are but I got given them 10 years ago so they must be a good 15 years old. In terms of stuff I bought new and still use my Shimano stc spinning rod is about the oldest at I think 11-12 years old. I don't think any of my regularly used coarse gear would be older than about 6 years though that I can recall.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Literally just bought a couple rigs for the whip I got for Christmas as still haven't used it yet. Was too many carp to use it on the commercial and after yesterday's perch I'm not sure I want to risk it on the canal til the silvers wake up again.

In terms of old tackle a couple of my multipliers are old hand me downs. Not exactly sure how old they are but I got given them 10 years ago so they must be a good 15 years old. In terms of stuff I bought new and still use my Shimano stc spinning rod is about the oldest at I think 11-12 years old. I don't think any of my regularly used coarse gear would be older than about 6 years though that I can recall.
15 years old ? Pffffft. Ukzero1 has underpants older than that. 🤣🤣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This whip I'd say is 30 years old. Has a natural bend to it even at 3m. :LOL:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
15 years old ? Pffffft. Ukzero1 has underpants older than that. 🤣🤣
Tbf I reckon I've got some not far shy. That uncomfortable pair that you never wear so never got worn out yet live in the draw with the rest 😅

This whip I'd say is 30 years old. Has a natural bend to it even at 3m. :LOL:
I vaguely recall seeing like a hundred year old rod that had rings on both sides so you could alternate the way round you used it to stop it getting a permanent bend 🤔

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I still have and use my 3 Mtr Silstar 3000-300 Whip, (elasticated); and my 4.3 Mtre Shakespeare Feather Lite Graphite Whip 1030-430.

The Silstar must be 35, maybe 40, years old and the Shakey slightly newer at around 30 years old! Both still catch me lots of fish.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
All my kit is old and secondhand :LOL:

Doesn't make it any less fun to use though - the whip I teach my son on is a 5m 2002 telescopic cheapy that’s been elasticated but works like a dream.

My Leeda and Daiwa match rods are probably late 90’s too if not a little older but matched with a Daiwa 125m they catch more than their fair share of silvers on the river.

Nicky Dodds

I have an old garbolino Vectra 6m
Dam KC clubman 4m
Dam KC clubman 3m
Browning speedstick 3.5m
Garbolino Dino 1.5m.

There's a Dam KC clubman 2m on eBay i would have liked but seller won't post.

I have a pair of boxer shorts commemorating Italia 90 World Cup but I hate boxer shorts so they are in that place in that drawer.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
iirc the “chevron” range from DAM were carbon Composite. Would have been some time in the mid to late 80s.
All my whips are carbon, but three date from pre 1990:
3m shakespeare whip (burgundy colour)
7m original shakespeare superteam
4m Maver thema alborella.

The last two are still my most used whips on rivers and canals respectively.

Wrt glass Fibre, the only one i still have is an original sigma wand (with 2 intact tips).

johnfranks

Site Supporter
I have a pair of Colmic Superb's, one 5 mtr and one 6 mtr. Must be from the late 80s early 90s. Still great whips and great fun on the canal. Wouldn't want to hook anything over 2lbs on them though

Total

Site Supporter
I tend not to do much whip fishing but, when I do I use my old ( probably older than you Zerkalo ) Shimano 6m Diaflash. As good today as when I first bought it. I tend to use it on tiny rivers and drains for Roach fishing when the water is gin clear. No elastic simple flick tip .... Owd Skiool. 🤣👍
^^ Even before my time....:oops::giggle:

ae111sr

Site Supporter
The only whip I've onwed is a 6m DAM Telesnatcher, bought at the 1990 Game Fair at Margam Park, cost me £60 and still in use today ;)

baggy

Mark Saunders
I have a 8m Milo Luxury which I got in 1991 which was £400 at the time.

I also still use my Milo Dynatron’s in 4m, 4.5m, 5m which are 25 years old. These are brilliant whips for catching small fish quickly has they have a very quick action compared to my other softer action whips

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Soft action describes the Telesnatcher very well lol but at 3m it's not too bad. Looking for a new longer whip to use on a Bream venue but my dad is trying to talk me out of it, saying just fish the pole there first.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Soft action describes the Telesnatcher very well lol but at 3m it's not too bad. Looking for a new longer whip to use on a Bream venue but my dad is trying to talk me out of it, saying just fish the pole there first.
Whips are no good on a bream venue, they are great for fish up to 6-8oz but anything bigger fish a short line as it will be quicker

Jonny w

I have 2 old avanti whips made out of fibre glass, think there around 15-20 years old, my two youngest sons 6 and 8 still use them now for gudgeon/roach, still have the original elastic in both as well lol, if they hook into anything over about 12oz it’s like a war, love watching them it honestly so funny, you would think there connected to a 30lb carp.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Silverfisher get ya whip down ya commercial, loose feed hemp at whatever distance then fish hemp on the hook, avoid the carp catch roach. I did it my myself last week just don't feed anything other than hemp on that short line. You could even fish the waggler long for an hour to start just drip feed hemp every minuet 15 ish grains at a time. Give it a go most enjoyable.