Reality TV

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Over the last few years I’ve found myself watching less and less ‘mainstream’ TV, and more and more streaming stuff, box sets and films through Netflix, Prime etc.

This shift has been driven in the main by the seemingly endless pipeline of dross offered by the mainstream channels, particularly in the modern era of reality TV.

However, I saw an advert this morning for a new show on C4 (or possibly E4), called Trash Monsters, which I think is a step down from anything I’ve come across in the past.

The basic premise of the show is that Kerry Katina ‘wears’ her household rubbish, and carries it around with her in rubbish bags for a week.

I get the message behind reducing waste to landfill and increasing recycling etc, but is this type of programme really what the population of this country want to watch?

Seriously??

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Just watched an episode of QI where one panel member said that a TV producer used to take his 10 yo son to previews of new shows. Reason was that if a 10 yo liked it then so would the majority of the audience. Says it all really.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't watch telly anymore, but C4 do the odd good thing, Nick Broomfield still makes documentaries for them, the last decent one saw called "Sex, My British Job" following and undercover Chinese journalist in the seedy world of Londons brothels.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Luckily no longer watching any live TV I have the choice on what I watch.

I was never interested in programmes like Big Brother where they put people from completely different backgrounds into a house and then manipulated the residents into completely planned circumstances to observe and ridicule their behaviour and reactions. They had the nerve to call that reality TV.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Over the last few years I’ve found myself watching less and less ‘mainstream’ TV, and more and more streaming stuff, box sets and films through Netflix, Prime etc.

This shift has been driven in the main by the seemingly endless pipeline of dross offered by the mainstream channels, particularly in the modern era of reality TV.

However, I saw an advert this morning for a new show on C4 (or possibly E4), called Trash Monsters, which I think is a step down from anything I’ve come across in the past.

The basic premise of the show is that Kerry Katina ‘wears’ her household rubbish, and carries it around with her in rubbish bags for a week.

I get the message behind reducing waste to landfill and increasing recycling etc, but is this type of programme really what the population of this country want to watch?

Seriously??
Seen a headline today somewhere where Kerry says she hasn’t cooked her kids a meal for over 6 months as they prefer takeaways. 😳🙈

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Theres a more'n a few like that... the rise of firms like just eat and deliveroo have made sure of that...

Arry

Site Supporter
I have to say its getting to the point where my telly only goes on when the wife gets in...
Up at 8, brekky, house work, 9.45 Aquafit, 11am home, out for a blat about on the Bonneville, in at 1.45, lunch, start getting dinner ready for tonight... telly won't go on till 6 pm... sometimes wonder why we pay a sodding licence fee... BBC content is pants other than QI and House of Games

Billy bonds

Seriously??
Unfortunately most tv is reality style TV rubbish,
It's cheap to make ,
I can't stand any of it ,I hate strictly ,celebrity ,love Island, big brother,etc ,you name it, it's mindless drivel...
The days of good dramas ,comedy's, has ended,
I watch less and less TV,
I'm in the minority (thank god)!
Throw away TV for a throw away nation.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Unfortunately most tv is reality style TV rubbish,
It's cheap to make ,
I can't stand any of it ,I hate strictly ,celebrity ,love Island, big brother,etc ,you name it, it's mindless drivel...
The days of good dramas ,comedy's, has ended,
I watch less and less TV,
I'm in the minority (thank god)!
Throw away TV for a throw away nation.
I mostly agree, although my daughter is a competitive ballroom and Latin dancer, so Strictly is allowed on the TV in our house.

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting when they pitched the concept of celebrities wearing their household rubbish for a week. The mind truly boggles.

And how desperate must the like of Kerry Katona and John Barnes be to sign up for it???

Billy bonds

It lasted 5 mins , they asked how much it would cost to make!
I've heard they are toying with the idea of getting people to watch paint dry ,next...lol
Mindless garbage, :sneaky:
You are right though...

Arry

Site Supporter
For some minor celebs (z listers) its a last hurraaah and easy payday... I more often than not have Planet Rock on the radio...
My first year of retirement, I watched a load of daytime TV... I spent most of the time either surfing channels or shouting at the telly... getting to the point where I could happily get rid of it... so much of it is dross anyway, I could save £150 odd quid on a tv licence and £98 a month in Virgin media fees (have to keep the broadband though)

Reuben

Site Supporter
I quite like some of the documentaries - 24hrs In Police Custody & the like. Netflix or Amazon TV most of the time for us. Never been the same since Death In Paradise went off…….

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
24 hours in Police custody
Bake off
Masterchef
Factual police investigation progs
Every now and then a drama series, Night Stalker with Martin Clunes was excellent.
Apart from that and its Firestick and films or box sets.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
24 hours in Police custody
Bake off
Masterchef
Factual police investigation progs
Every now and then a drama series, Night Stalker with Martin Clunes was excellent.
Apart from that and its Firestick and films or box sets.
Only Firestick and apps on it in this house. Computer and youtube most of the time during the day, unless I am out with the camera.

Tristar

Site Supporter
I don't watch live TV anymore as I don't want my money funding the BBC so I cancelled my TV licence. Can't stand reality TV with "stars" Strictly come mincing, I think I'm a celebrity has anyone heard of me, Katie Price, Gemma Collins, the Kardashy people etc.

I prefer documentaries, box sets and youtube.

Arry

Site Supporter
That lump Gemma Collins lives locally... kin horrible woman... so far up herself she's inside out... had words with her in a sports bar in Brentwood... cow was bellowing in me ear and I asked her to keep it down... she got stroppy, so I wound her up a tad... her minder was pissing himself laughing by the time he led her away...

Billy bonds

I used to live in collier row and used to see her in romford all the time,and in the sugar hut ,her and Amy child's, loud mouthed Brain dead Essex blob ,talentless ,
I can't stand towie, I'm not an Essex boy , and alot of people round that area were embarrassed by that programme,
Alright babe 😉