Real Ale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrayner

I do like a pint or seven of real ale and am seen down Wetherspoons and a couple of proper local pubs quite a lot. I do not normally drink lager unless it is served very cold and I am very thirsty

I was taken totally by surprise by a lager from Wetherspoons the other day. It was Herold Bohemian Black Lager from the Czech Republic, at 1.79 for a 500ml bottle. It is now my new favourite ale. Absolutley superb with a hint of stout to the flavour.

I urge all beer lovers to try this one.

JB56

I'll try it but I do like real ale not the smooth type that a lot of pubs are serving at the moment.

Coming from the North of England were we have proper beers like Timothy Taylors, jennings, Hartleys and many more quality brews you can't beat it.

Larry

Lazarus
Nrayner,
If you like a bottle of real ale at home Morrison's &Tesco's have a large Real Ale section with Morrisons having the edge . Morrison is on permanent offer of 1.59 a bottle or 4 for a 5.00 i think tescos do an on offer as well slightly dearer at 3 bottles for 4.00.Also both do a great foreign lager section as well.

Last edited:

hempy

Alan
Will give that one a try but while i am out i like a pint of real ale, not this smooth sh*t they dish up now. At the moment the local guest is "speckled hen" realy smooth and full bodied...also favour abbots ale, marstons pedegree and tanglefoot,awwwwh, what the hell, i like them all
For a bottled ale try Adnams Broadside, as Larry says Tescos do that and have a good selection such as old peculiar and black sheep.

nrayner

Originally posted by Larry

Nrayner,
If you like a bottle of real ale at home Morrison's &Tesco's have a large Real Ale section with Morrisons having the edge . Morrison is on permanent offer of 1.59 a bottle or 4 for a 5.00 i think tescos do an on offer as well slightly dearer at 3 bottles for 4.00.Also both do a great foreign lager section as well.

Even better is Booths. They only have shops in the north west, but on my recent visit to the Lakes I went to their Ulverston store and bought Ushers Founder's Ale, Elgood Double Swan, Tom Wood's Jolly Ploughman, Bateman's Dark Lord and a number of others at 1.00, yes 1 per bottle. They had loads of ales at this price!

Last edited:

Ady

Formerly Adymon
If anyone visits Wetherspoons this weekend, try Kopparberg, its a fruit cider that comes in various flavours, served with loads of ice and tastes like fruit juice, unbeatable for a night out.

Ill be trying that stuff you mentioned tonight!

chris.

Kopparberg pear cider is really nice,but you cant get better than timothy taylor's landlord[:p]
coniston bluebird is also spot on
real ale don't give you a head ache unlike all the smoothflow super chilled rubbish[;)]

time to sample a couple i think[:D][:D]

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Originally posted by hempy

Will give that one a try but while i am out i like a pint of real ale, not this smooth sh*t they dish up now. At the moment the local guest is "speckled hen" realy smooth and full bodied...also favour abbots ale, marstons pedegree and tanglefoot,awwwwh, what the hell, i like them all
For a bottled ale try Adnams Broadside, as Larry says Tescos do that and have a good selection such as old peculiar and black sheep.

Hempy, try a bottle of the Goliath and you get
a full pint,
pure nectar in a bottle drink chilled.

Why do I get the feeling you already have [;)] [:p]
also Erdinger a wheat beer is very nice. [^] [:p] [:D]

Harry.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Originally posted by chris.

Kopparberg pear cider is really nice,but you cant get better than timothy taylor's landlord[:p]
coniston bluebird is also spot on
real ale don't give you a head ache unlike all the smoothflow super chilled rubbish[;)]

time to sample a couple i think[:D][:D]

Pear is nice mate

Think the other i like is Summer Fruits, like drinking glass of Robinsons no added sugar ha

but fizzy :p

maximus

We had a BBQ up my mothers today and I went to somerfield and got some MasterBrew for 1 per bottle.

I'd just finished cooking and it chucked it down by the way.

Fingers

I'd recommend, as a bottled beer, Innis & Gunn. This beer which is brewed in Scotland is absolutely fantastic. I've only found it in Waitrose so far.

hempy

Alan
Originally posted by HarryOatcake

Hempy, try a bottle of the Goliath and you get
a full pint,
pure nectar in a bottle drink chilled.

Why do I get the feeling you already have [;)] [:p]
also Erdinger a wheat beer is very nice. [^] [:p] [:D]

Harry.

Your right Harry have done the goliath and it is good, but not the Erdinger, will have to get some. Is it from Tesco ??
leprecaundrinkingdp4.gif
leprecaundrinkingdp4.gif
leprecaundrinkingdp4.gif
leprecaundrinkingdp4.gif

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Has anybody tried anything from THESE PEOPLE? Despite it being local to me I have yet to sample anything from them.

Used to enjoy draught beers from the Jug and bottle shop in Abington in the town at one time. Used to go in with me little 8pint plastic cask and buy as much as I wanted to, they had some very good beers in there, but sadly when the supermarkets cottoned on to real ale they were forced to close, they just couldn't compete on the price which was a shame, it was a really happy friendly place.

They even gave away samples to regulars to try before you bought, wasn't much obviously but gave you an indication as to whether you would like it, and afterwards they asked you to fill in a samall questionaire, those beers that were popular became regulars and those that didn't, well, they never bought them again.

timber

built for comfort
some beers have great names dont they,
bishops finger
sneck lifter
black bat, to name a few.

dan88

Originally posted by bluebaitbox

Try a bottle of Riggwelter, proper beer drink.gif , love it beer-toast1.gif

They used to have that on draught at our local pub until it was taken off. Always make sure I get a couple of bottles from the supermarket. That reminds me, there's a pub near me that every year always puts on a Real Ale Festival, usually has about 30-40 beers on draught. I'll have to find out when it is.

Last edited:

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Sister came home with a bottle of Fox's Nob yesterday :|

Dont know if it was novelty or a genuine beverage!

davyr

Originally posted by Bluey

Has anybody tried anything from THESE PEOPLE? Despite it being local to me I have yet to sample anything from them.

Take it from me, it's good stuff! Moulton Morris usually have a couple of barrels of Frog Island at their 5-yearly reunion parties.[:)]

davyr

Originally posted by ashtheangler

lol that name sounds like something you'd use for fishing!

Apparently it's a Yorkshire dialect word for a dew-soaked sheep that can't get up. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.