ready tied pole rigs on rod and line.

PAB

Site Supporter
I had some really good results during the summer using ready tied pole rigs on rod and line in the margins have many others tried this.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
End of the day mate its still just a float on the line but you do gain from having the sensitivity that a pole float can give you.
Had a cracking session a couple of seasons ago when I went to floater fish but the Carp had other ideas.
Had a couple of stick rigs in the car and as I always do a few tins of meat.
Quick change over on the rod and had some real lumps to high teens fishing the margins.
Angling is only as restrictive as your mind lets it and IMO far too many anglers like to over complicate things.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Not ready tied. I don't like being restricted by them, nor do I like having a loop to loop join above the float. However, I do use pole floats with rod and line regularly enough.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I've never used them in the manner you suggest but I do set up stick float rigs and attach them in the same manner...

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
one of our club rounds is rod only but typically at a commerical. Most of us replace the pole with rod and line and pole rigs attached especially for the margins. Works well (y)

PAB

Site Supporter
I just got caught out one day without any fine wagglers and as I had a few pre tied pole rigs tried one I was surprised just how good it was and how far if I needed I could cast one it is something I am going to try more of next summer

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use pre set rigs on winders on my 17 / 20 ft float rod for tench and crucians on the pin.
Rigs are 2m long and connected via loop to loop, I also put my rod away with line still through the rod. After you have removed the rig take your top section off and put loop of mainline over the joint and put rod back together, then starting with the butt disjoint and fold each section. When putting your rod back together you just reverse the order. This can be done from a sitting position under a brolly in a storm without getting wet.

PAB

Site Supporter
I use pre set rigs on winders on my 17 / 20 ft float rod for tench and crucians on the pin.
Rigs are 2m long and connected via loop to loop, I also put my rod away with line still through the rod. After you have removed the rig take your top section off and put loop of mainline over the joint and put rod back together, then starting with the butt disjoint and fold each section. When putting your rod back together you just reverse the order. This can be done from a sitting position under a brolly in a storm without getting wet.
that sounds a dam good idea I will try that.

PAB

Site Supporter
Make sure they are 1 gram + floats as when the float is 10" from the tip you need the weight to bring the float down to you.
I would probably attach a plummet so weight would be enough to bring it down to me.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
How are you going to fish with a permanently fixed plummet on your hook ?
If fishing 6 or 7 feet deep at the rod tip with a light rig you cannot bring a fishless rig back down to you. I have found that a 1 gram float has enough weight to bring the empty rig back down to me. I have caught razor blades and eyes on these rigs so they are still very sensitive.

PAB

Site Supporter
How are you going to fish with a permanently fixed plummet on your hook ?
If fishing 6 or 7 feet deep at the rod tip with a light rig you cannot bring a fishless rig back down to you. I have found that a 1 gram float has enough weight to bring the empty rig back down to me. I have caught razor blades and eyes on these rigs so they are still very sensitive.
sorry we are talking at cross purposes I meant fix a plummet to the hook on a pre tied rig attached to the rod before i unfold the rod under the brolly in bad weather. :LOL: yes i under stand what you mean especially if it is blowing a gale it can be a nightmare trying to swing it back in no problem on the way out as i tend to fish close and swing it out under arm with paste with no problem.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Sometimes I'm only using a single caster. So if you miss a bite and need to rebait then you need the weight because I have the float about 10" from the rod tip.

John Step

Site Supporter
My favourite method for deeper water under the rod tip is a pole float and pin. Magic.

No need for a pre tied rig though.

Last edited: