Ready Rod Bag/Hardcase

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Evening all,

I am looking for a ready rod bag or hard case to carry 3 Piece 14 Ft Trotting Road, 3 Piece 13 Ft Waggler Rod & 2 piece 12 Ft Feeder Rod, preferably made up with reels attached and with a side pocket for bank-sticks, landing net handle & possibly an umbrella. This will be used for River trips with climbs over styles. gates are likely.

Would appreciate owners recommendations.

Thanks

squimp

Site Supporter
I asked a similar question in April and got lots of helpful replies - so you could scroll backwards and find that thread.

adriang

Site Supporter
I bought a Shimano Tribal rod bag to give me a 'roving option' on rivers, that fits 3 rods. I usually take a pair of 2 piece 12 ft Drennan Avons with 2 5000 baitrunners and a 3 piece float rod with a pin (usually 13ft, occasionally a 14ft), and it's got external pockets for an umbrella, landing net, sticks. I got it pretty cheap off eBay. To be honest, I got this one because it was a good price, good condition (unused with tags) and I'm a Shimano tackle tart.

It was a good buy for me and it's very fit for (my) purpose.

A few points which I learned..

A 3 piece rod broken down but with line/terminal tackle still attached (ie one of the purposes of this) are a bit painful to keep the line sorted, it seems to get everywhere. A few of the velcro wraps, possibly coupled with the neoprene tip/butt protectors does make life easier.

Although the bag has dividers between the rods, I'm think the reels could get damaged clunking together (perhaps less of an issue if I had 4000 and they were not baitrunners). I keep the float rod, with a neoprene cover on it, between them.

a 2 piece rod is easier to manage, but a 12 ft rod in 2 sections is obviously in 6 ft lengths, which means your bag needs to be this length. I found that was too long for my car ( wife has the better car, she just doesn't like smelly fishing gear in it).

The avons are pretty versatile, with 2 tips sections (traditional avon and quiver) and then a variety of push in tips, so its a bit of a gamble if it's set up for what I want when I arrive on the bank.

I don't fish with 2 rods, so based on the last years activities, I could have made do with a 2 rod bag, although this might change, I'm interested in pit bream fishing this year.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@squimp Thanks I did search for 'Ready Rod Bag' but most of the threads were dated 2017 or earlier. The search didn't bring up your thread 'Ready Rod Cases' in the title so thanks for directing me to it. (y)

@adriang Thanks for the detailed response - I think I might be struggling to take the 3 piece rods made up successfully in a ready rod bag, can't see the 12 Ft rod being a problem though.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Not a hardcase but i recommend the Daiwa Tournament 2+2 feeder holdall, handles 4 rods easily, even with big pit reels. Plenty of pockets too.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Not a hardcase but i recommend the Daiwa Tournament 2+2 feeder holdall, handles 4 rods easily, even with big pit reels. Plenty of pockets too.

Thanks Mate I'll take a look at that. :upthumb:

bricky72

Site Supporter
@squimp Thanks I did search for 'Ready Rod Bag' but most of the threads were dated 2017 or earlier. The search didn't bring up your thread 'Ready Rod Cases' in the title so thanks for directing me to it. (y)

@adriang Thanks for the detailed response - I think I might be struggling to take the 3 piece rods made up successfully in a ready rod bag, can't see the 12 Ft rod being a problem though.
Depending on which 12 ft rod if two piece need a 190 length as I found out with my 12 ft acoylote feeder rod

Scribe

Site Supporter
Depending on which 12 ft rod if two piece need a 190 length as I found out with my 12 ft acoylote feeder rod

Thanks mate I will be looking at the longer 197 Cms one. (y)