Ready for Winter?

smiffy

Site Supporter
After a bit of a hit and miss summer my favourite time of year is on its way. The rivers are starting to clear of weed and I’ll soon be able to chuck a lead under all those bushes I’ve earmarked as possibly holding some decent Chub. Walked the banks once or twice but,despite the rain we’ve had,the river has not looked great.
Hopefully I’ll be able to find some big Roach. Still looking for that elusive 2lb fish but if it happens it happens. I’m not going to put pressure on myself or be frustrated if it doesn’t happen. Might not even be any in my local river:LOL: Also fancy having a go for some big Perch which is something I’ve never done in my entire life. Had some good Perch matchfishing with chopped worm but nothing much over 2lb.
Given a mild,wet spell I’m sure I’ll be having a go for some of the Bream shoals aswell.
Cold weather clothing is all sorted. Slippy Skeetex are ready. In my head my approach is sorted. Just need the conditions to be right. I’m raring to go

Who else is looking forward to winter? What do you hope to catch? Or does your gear get put away until spring?

rudd

Site Supporter
Fish all year round, for anything that will feed - they all do at some point!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
90% of my fishing is done between the beginning of March and the end of October as I like the nice weather and the fishing is easier!

I do fish in the winter but it's tough on the venues round my way. My local stillwater and favoured river stretches become rock hard once the frosts hit regularly and I don't like fishing the more commercial stillwaters or the really urban bits of river. The hot summer last year and warm February this year were a god send as I was bagging up into mid November and then again in late February but that was an exception rather than a rule compared to past winters and is unlikely to be repeated this year.

That said I'll still have the odd go on the local rivers through the winter as I won't catch much sat at home! I'm also going to try and get down on the southern chalkstreams for a couple sessionas they do tend to stay a lot more stable temperature, height and clarity wise compared to most rivers.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
Favourite time of year this. Off piking tomorrow and every other chance I get until it gets too warm. Week after I’m having 3 days up in Somerset on the drains. Just sorting out the van now!

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
My prep for winter is to ensure that the heating oil tank is full, the coal bunker is full and the whisky bottles are full.:p

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
I would love to say I can stay enthusiastic year round but in the colder months I can struggle with motivation at times, On the river location is much more important in winter as the fish tend to be certain areas, you can sit on a summer flyer and have zero chance of catching. Pike can drive you up the wall at times also especially in clear water.

On the positive you can have the coldest day of the year and on the right peg with the right tactics can have the best days fishing all year

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Certainly is mate, 14 year old Balvenie, 10 year old Bruichladdie and an 18 year old 'really rare' Glenmorangie(y):smoke:

And I'm sat here with just 2 bottles of Remy Martin brandy. Looks like another trip to the bottle shop is on the cards.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Yes,rain. Like you I hate setting up in the rain. It can rain as mu
I would love to say I can stay enthusiastic year round but in the colder months I can struggle with motivation at times, On the river location is much more important in winter as the fish tend to be certain areas, you can sit on a summer flyer and have zero chance of catching. Pike can drive you up the wall at times also especially in clear water.

On the positive you can have the coldest day of the year and on the right peg with the right tactics can have the best days fishing all year
I think the key is to leave it if you don’t think it’s going to happen. I matchfished for many years and there’s nothing more demoralising than driving to your venue knowing it’s going to be gin clear and you’ve just had -6 or -7 of frost. You know it’s going to be awful and you’re basically hoping something happens in the last half hour.
I know my venues very well. Yes,there are sections where I can sit and catch juvenile fish on punch on the coldest of days but I’d rather give myself a better chance of good fish by fishing on the better days. Fish are shoaled up tight in winter so my advice is to learn as much as you can about your venue,know it’s moods and where fish live at this time of year. Don’t go for the hell of it. Much of my summer fishing is on gravel pits,I won’t even bother with them until spring now. They will be very tough.
But you’re right. Winter can throw up much bigger catches.