Re-spooling

Stewie74

Site Supporter
So today’s newbie question concerns re-spooling line.

Last week I respooled my 2 reels with new line, 8lb Preston mono.

I soaked it in warm water and washing up liquid, had the spool facing upwards (label up), and wound it on slowly but under medium tension, as per the YouTube vids I’ve watched on the subject.

On the bank today, it was as curly as a tramps pubes, not much fun to cast with and just a pain in the arse in general,

Where might I have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance 👍

Stewie

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You need to have the line coming off the new spool going in the same direction as the bale arm on the reel if that makes sense.

So if you are looking from the back of the reel and the bale arm is going anti clockwise, the line needs to be coming off the new spool anti clockwise as well

matt

Site Supporter
Not sure what went wrong Stewie, personally when I spool up reels for freshwater fishing, I just lay the spool on the floor, thread it through the bottom section of the rod and tie onto the reel. Then wrap a tea towel or old t shirt around my hand and reel the new line into the reel through the towel whilst applying pressure to keep everything tight.
I’d be careful of using washing up liquid as this can significantly weaken nylon monofilament.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Maybe the warm water softened the line and then it bedded in on the spool making it worse, I've always loaded line dry coming off the donor spool the way it goes on the new one, never had any problems even with sensor.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like possibly not quite enough tension or possibly as others have said maybe the warm soapy water as I generally just douse it in cold water first. Could be something in the direction but not sure I've ever deliberately made sure I got that right and have always been ok, I might have just fluked the right direction each time I guess!

Also with thick lines like 8lb it can take more time to get the memory out of them compared to lighter lines which I've never had a problem with. Afraid I've no idea how to quick fix it as I haven't spooled any mono higher than 6lb in years. Back when I did last do it I trotted a lead down river under tension which helped a bit.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I get my dad to hold the spool for me in the right direction and wind it on that way. 😁 Don't see many people do it like that, I must be doing it wrong too.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I get my dad to hold the spool for me in the right direction and wind it on that way. 😁 Don't see many people do it like that, I must be doing it wrong too.
Tbf if there's someone to help I do the same. Put a spoon through the spool and get them to hold it with tension with a tea towel. More fiddly on my own as involves making a bit of a rig that involves winding slower to keep the tension.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Tbf if there's someone to help I do the same. Put a spoon through the spool and get them to hold it with tension with a tea towel. More fiddly on my own as involves making a bit of a rig that involves winding slower to keep the tension.
I've thought about the mechanics of it and it doesn't seem to encourage more line twist, but that's only if you have someone to hold it for you. Never see it recommended that way though as people like the buckets with water. The only problem I have is line bedding in after a while but I'm told that's down to catching big fish? 😁

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Seems to work fine for me and is a lot easier than getting it set up to do it on my own

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The easiest way I find is to put the new spool on a block of wood facing the right way and put a screw with a washer through the middle hole in the spool to clamp it to the wood. Put the wood on the floor with your feet on it so the spool is between your feet.

Fasten the line to the reel and put the line between your knees (with jeans on) and then hold the reel facing downwards towards your knees and wind away.
You use your knees clamping on the line to adjust the tension as you wind.

Takes a minute to set up and a doddle to do.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have used one of these for years, you can use it with any size spool, set the tension you want and no need for a willing (or unwilling) assistant......

Griffo

Site Supporter
The easiest way I find is to put the new spool on a block of wood facing the right way and put a screw with a washer through the middle hole in the spool to clamp it to the wood. Put the wood on the floor with your feet on it so the spool is between your feet.

Fasten the line to the reel and put the line between your knees (with jeans on) and then hold the reel facing downwards towards your knees and wind away.
You use your knees clamping on the line to adjust the tension as you wind.

Takes a minute to set up and a doddle to do.
That’s an awful lot of coordinated bodily movements, is that the angling equivalent of yoga?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I do it slightly different but with the same results, put spool on floor with a small weight on it, reel on butt section of rod, line threaded through butt ring with spool directly underneath, wind the line on with my thumb and forefinger tensioning it as I hold the top of the handle.

lp1886

Site Supporter
I just put the spool of line in a bucket, and then pinch the line above the reel to get the tension. The spool bounces around like mad but I’ve done it that way for years and never have major line issues. Some folks must be born unlucky 🤷🏻‍♂️

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Thanks as always gents.

To be honest I can’t remember whether the line went on the reel in the same direction as it came of the spool😳😳

Bulk spool of new line in order from Bobco, will try again for next weekend👍

rudd

Site Supporter
I just use but section of a rod, line through eye, tie on to reel.
Spool goes in a big green sensas bucket, tension line through fingers as its wound on.
most reels have sensor - never had an issue.

Stewie - what line was it?

rudd

Site Supporter
I just put the spool of line in a bucket, and then pinch the line above the reel to get the tension. The spool bounces around like mad but I’ve done it that way for years and never have major line issues. Some folks must be born unlucky 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ditto 😆

chris1967

Site Supporter
So today’s newbie question concerns re-spooling line.

Last week I respooled my 2 reels with new line, 8lb Preston mono.

I soaked it in warm water and washing up liquid, had the spool facing upwards (label up), and wound it on slowly but under medium tension, as per the YouTube vids I’ve watched on the subject.

On the bank today, it was as curly as a tramps pubes, not much fun to cast with and just a pain in the arse in general,

Where might I have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance 👍

Stewie
Take your rod and reel to your nearest empty field walk out all the line in a straight line and wind it back in with no weights on

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I just use but section of a rod, line through eye, tie on to reel.
Spool goes in a big green sensas bucket, tension line through fingers as its wound on.
most reels have sensor - never had an issue.

Stewie - what line was it?
Preston Sinking Feeder mono