RE line how long should it last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Lazarus
Hi all i bought some Drennen 6 lbs float fish line for last years trent fish in.

Ive just had to replace it because when i was at welsh fish i lost several carp do line breaking on what thought they were big fish .

But when setting rod up
with same line to fish the stick , for this year's fish in thought i'd better check line.

When i checked it i was able break it with my hands surely line should last longer than 12mths on reel or am i wrong

Datafile2.jpg

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Polepot

Poles
Larry,

It depends how line is stored. The biggest risk to line degredation is Ultra Violet light - If your reels are left in the light you are very lucky to get a full year out of the line. Most people that I know change thier line every 12 months - if they use it regularly.

Poles

wales.gif
Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners
fish.gif

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
I change mine every 12 months on my reels even if I dont use them often. I'm always buying 2 spools for hooks lengths every yr too.

Datafile4.asp

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Apache

I change mine every year and sooner if it is of a low diameter

Tight Lines,
Matt

Datafile4.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.comPinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

Larry

Lazarus
thanks for info it looks as though i'll have to replace reel line every 12 mths then

Datafile2.asp

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Larry, how often you change the line depends on its use and how its stored. If for example you use it every week it may need changing every 3 months, or even more often. One downside to nylon that isnt mentioned very often is its ability to lose 3/4 or more of its strength over night. I remember buying a spool of 3lb maxima, within a week it was breaking every cast.
Buy the line on a bulk spool and store it in a dark place with a constant temperature. Then you can replace the line as often as required as cheaply as possible.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.