Re Evaluating My Kit

DunbarDinnes

Site Supporter
So, I recently mentioned snapping off the top 2" of my Shimano float rod and how it now performs better than original! Fished a new venue lake this week, on the waggler Shimano Aero X5 13' Float Rod, 6lb line size 14 hook with Sweetcorn/ Sweetcorn maggot on the hook, caught 9 bream from 3lb to 4.8, 2 Gudgeon!!!! but pulled out of two large Carp....decided I needed a bit more backbone in the rod so fished next day, same tacticts/bait/hook but used my daiwa 10' feeder rod without tips...blimey....stopped 3 6lb Tench in their tracks and had 5 Carp 8-18lb....sadly no Gudgeon! All of this has led me to re evaluate all my kit....rods reels etc to see if over the past 60 years I have been caught in the trap of buying & using gear for a specific purpose....a funny old game

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've never heard of using a feeder rod without tips before if I read that right but I'd say if it works then go with it as confidence is the most important thing, and I've found with my rods, the more I use them, the familiarity breeds confidence.

DunbarDinnes

Site Supporter
I've never heard of using a feeder rod without tips before if I read that right but I'd say if it works then go with it as confidence is the most important thing, and I've found with my rods, the more I use them, the familiarity breeds confidence.
It's amazing what being retired and having time on your hands does for you...my next trick might be a crab line attached to my Pole!!!!!

D

Deleted member 23692

68B11FFC-9102-430E-9D0B-8D1FE29846B0.jpeg

Managed to catch this little jack whilst bringing in any empty method feeder.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It must Be totally bewildering for a newcomer, especially with rods. Waggler, power waggler, pellet waggler, method, feeder, bomb, wands, margin, distance etc etc, the list goes on and on. When I started you had a float rod and a ledger rod.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
It must Be totally bewildering for a newcomer, especially with rods. Waggler, power waggler, pellet waggler, method, feeder, bomb, wands, margin, distance etc etc, the list goes on and on. When I started you had a float rod and a ledger rod.
Did you not have reels ,line or hooks as well ? ๐Ÿ™„