Re-creating scenes from Jaws

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Had a lovely session trotting on a river yesterday afternoon. Among the many lovely dace, roach, chublet and my very first grayling (whoop!) there were two gatecrashing pike that grabbed onto- and subsequently ejected- my captures while I was reeling in. The pike were both about 5-6lb and on both occasions I thought I was in with a shout of landing them. Alas the hooklength gave out on the first (quelle surprise), but the second was like a scene from Jaws- I got its head up, and there was a poor roach wriggling like Quint in the mouth of the beast! I was quite surprised how long it clung on to the poor wee silver, but it let go in the end.

On another note, this was a very interesting trial of my new Maver Reactorlite Match 1 which I had rigged with my Okuma pin and 3.2lb Drennan floatfish. This turned out to be a cracking combo for trotting for silvers, but other than a snapped hooklength and that scene from Jaws, it was plenty for a small but marauding pike.

Happy days :LOL: I went home with a (probably) new favourite fishing spot and a big smile on my face and that is what counts I think.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Welcome to my world! Happens to me almost every time I’m on the Thames and to a slightly lesser extent the Avon. I have anywhere from a couple to a dozen pike interactions in a session ranging from near misses to prolonged hook ups and everything in between. The near misses and clean takes are bearable but the hook ups are annoying as they result in a lot more bite offs than landed fish or hook pulls so gets expensive time and money wise! Can be quite spectacular though with them often flying a good foot out of the water or hitting big time on the surface.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Had a nasty spate of pike strikes back in the summer on the river but not had a hint more recently

IanG1

Site Supporter
Been mullered by pike today, must have got through a dozen plus hooklengths after bite offs. Took time for the fish to settle after each incident. My Trent peg was worth 25lb of red fins today but finished up with 15lb.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yet when I go on the Trent and try and catch them, it's freaking tumbleweed city. Fished 7 swims last weekend and not a hint.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Spent an hour with lures on the Nidd this evening. Only one take that aborted last minute going for a 20cm jack pike lure. Will be back there next week for silvers and you can bet I'll encounter old Esox again!!!

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
6 hour match, Port Talbot dock, THIRTY TWO pike strikes, THIRTY TWO hooklengths. ☹️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been mullered by pike today, must have got through a dozen plus hooklengths after bite offs. Took time for the fish to settle after each incident. My Trent peg was worth 25lb of red fins today but finished up with 15lb.
I often think how much I lose weight wise and really feel for the match guys when they suffer with them. Generally speaking it’s the better stamp fish they take as you can’t get them in as quickly so you can easily lose a good few pounds quickly.