Razor Blades and Bars of Gold

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I guess I am really lucky in that the Wellingborough club's Ringstead Island fishery is just five miles/ten minutes from home. And there is a McDonald's en-route for breakfast (I like the coffee :)).

I have described the two "match style" lakes before. 40 pegged snake lake and 12 peg donut. Both lakes are stocked with a complete mixture of fish from small roach to carp. The club try and keep the carp under 10lb in the snake and 5 in the donut. But these are not, in my view and experience, carp dominated waters. I enjoy fishing these lakes in a way that will see me catch a variety of fish, not just carp.

Mill Cotton Whole.JPG

Yesterday, because of the recent frosts and I fished the snake on Sunday I chose to fish the donut. This lake is around a foot deeper than the snake at 5 1/2 to 6ft. Thus I thought it may fish better. Peg 51 was chosen because I have not fished it before but all the swims on this lake tend to fish very similarly. Water was clear and around 6.3 degrees.

Simple day rig wise. A slim 0.5g float with 1.2mm bristle (BGT Grey). Shotting was a simple string of No.8s with three No.10 droppers all spaced around 3 inches apart above a 10 inch hooklength. Mainline 0.13 Reflo with 0.10 ten inch hooklength and a size 18 B611. I set up two rigs, one just overdepth, the other two inches shallower for corn skin. This second rig worked best a few weeks ago when I had to break the ice to fish. This Winter I have been trying Nick Gilbert's 12-14 Ultra Core elastic. It has proved perfect. Heavier than others would use but suits me well.

grey5.jpg

Feed would be micros fed in different amounts on three spots at topkit +4 distance (track). Hookbait choices were maggot, pinkie, 2 & 4 mil expander and corn (skin). The maggot and pinkie were not touched all day.

Fairly quickly I had two small chub (6-8oz), one on 4 mil expander, the other on corn skin. The day then settled down and I caught fish steadily. A nice mixture of roach/rudd, crucians between 6oz and 1 1/2 pound, small skimmers between 2 & 4 oz. The small carp and brown goldfish/crucian cross didn't seem to want to feed. In the afternoon I added some 4 mil pellets to the feed and then had three carp between 1 1/2 and 2lb, the biggest being the last fish of the day. All were caught on 2 mil expander apart from that last carp and the second chub. All three spots I fed produced with feeding fish giving their presence away bubbling over the feed. Always a sign that the float could disappear soon.

Final tally was three carp, twelve skimmers, eleven crucians, three chub and eight roach (1/2 to 5/6 oz).

As always it is a delight to see a golden crucian resting in the net. That just adds something to a decent day's fishing on what was a chilly but dry day. The skimmers were not big but I didn't care, the float was going under and I was having fun.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Nice report Neil, can I ask is the ultra core a hybrid elastic or hollow?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Nice mixed bag. By the way Neil....if you fish 2mm expanders on the hook, are you still using a size 18?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Yes. My standard Winter set up. 0.13 main, 0.10/18 hooklength & hook.

Goes well with a light elastic :love:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Yes. My standard Winter set up. 0.13 main, 0.10/18 hooklength & hook.

Goes well with a light elastic :love:
Okay - I just thought that 2mm would be far too small for a size 18. I prepared some 3mm the other week & they seemed too small so I didn't bother using them as I had no hooks on me smaller than 18.