Rats

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Looks like we have some fury visitors in the garden again
20210109_114105.jpg

Poison put down, we had some in early autumn that poison got rid of. Think the live in our garden as its clean and tidy, then go next door to eat as there's is over grown and all sorts of rubbish in the garden.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Just been out back to check fish pond and my small pond has pile of soil in corner. Closer inspection something been digging at corner under some 30litre tubs I have near there 068B6F1E-B8A3-44CB-8638-0A8415C09E67.jpg

62tucker

Site Supporter
7 traps out permanently but going for poison today.
Don’t like using it as got dog and fish. But always put it where dog can’t get it and that part of garden is gated and fenced.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Poison seems to got rid of our rats, nest had been filled in. Bought some traps incase they thought of coming back. All I keep catching are mice (4 in the last week). Would you keep them down as I am sure most people have mice running round there garden ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Greys squirrel are just tree rats. Need shooting 👍🏼
Not for me , i wouldnt kill anything for the sake of it. With rats ,dont leave any waste food , i use an electric device from screwfix, working good for the last year . I side step insects rather than stand on them but will kill ants 🐜 if they nest in the cavity and get in house.

Robwooly

When I lived in a filthy part of North London, rats were (and still are) everywhere.

Word of warning folks, we heard rustling in the walls, thought it was next door doing DIY, then found out that the rats had chewed their way between the walls and were living in the loft. Managed to poison them but not before they spoiled everything up there.

Also with rats its not food as they can get that anywhere off our steets/overflowing bins, it's a close water source they need

62tucker

Site Supporter
Rats are back in back garden. 2 small ones in last 3 days so that mean a nest full of 6/7 from somewhere. Both dead in traps. 1 either side of garden so could be coming in from either side. Was hoping the cold weather had killed a few off. I have 8 traps set 24/7 .

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
After several conversations with a neighbour we have finally convinced her not to throw out bread for the birds, along with getting rid of a
lot of rubbish by her bungalow it hopefully will stop the rats. My cats will have to find other things to hunt.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've been getting a few calls lately to get rid of some rats, they are definitely on the increase.

stephanie

i got 8 just the other night in one of my neighbour's gardens but lots of takeaways around here had to give them my number as moving friday but still enjoy a bit of rat blasting oddly satisfying a good headshot

Maverick

Site Supporter
Had a spell a few years ago where a neighbour who backed on to us, used to have a lot of bird feeders in the trees on his side of the 6ft fence. Our garden and my next door neighbours garden became infested with rats. We both asked the fella to move, or lessen the numbers of feeders. His reply was that he was a keen bird photographer and they had to be there so he could take photos with his equipment that was all set up in his conservatory.
A few big signs with a selection of choice words as his backdrop soon had him moving the feeders.
Got a similar problem. Neighbour constantly putting nuts and seeds out for the birds and squirrels. Attracts the rats which then come into our garden and keep digging a hole in the same place and getting under the Grandaughters play area. We put a rat trap down near the hole, catch a rat then fill in the hole. If it reappears we know we have another one and rebait the trap.

Think we have had 9 upto now and some are big buggers. Sometimes goes quiet for a bit then the hole reappears. Defo a boom in the population.

62tucker

Site Supporter
@ anybody - What's your go to bait for the rat trap?
Atm I using old boilies with a touch of peanut butter on. Sometimes have to drill hole if boilies are hard.
If rats are stealing bait without trap going off I have in past tied a bit string to the small bait lever thing and coated in peanut butter so if they chew or pull on string the trap should go off.