Rats

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
According to the paper this morning there is a boom in the rat population. A leading expert on vermin stated that if the current breeding rate is maintained; 2 rats could multiply to 500,000,000 in 3 years:eek: How many pellets has @ukzero1 got?:p

John Step

Site Supporter
Reminds me of the forecast in times gone by that if the horses kept multiplying on London's roads, very soon the roads would be two feet thick in horse dung.
Never happened as the combustion engine took over to create a different type of problem.;)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Im getting fed up of dispatching them. If you have chickens and ducks it seems you have to have a few rats. The thing is .... They arent keen on lead Ive found. ?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I was accused by a neighbour of encouraging rats because I had a compost heap. The rats were causing them a problem by climbing their bird table to get the seed they put out and gnawing their way into the shed where the seed was stored. Strangely the rats disappeared after the rat man put poison down the holes in their garden. I still have a rat free compost heap.

I was very suspicious though when they told me there were two dead rats beside my compost heap. They were there but in a position that could not be seen from any neighbouring garden.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Since fishing opened up again, the rat population has gone crackers round our club waters. It doesn't help though when there's a recycling centre close by.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had one jump on top of my BBQ cover yesterday after a piece of bread the missus had put out for the Sparrows. If I'd had my rifle I wouldn't have needed a pellet as it was that close I could have clubbed it to death :)

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Had a spell a few years ago where a neighbour who backed on to us, used to have a lot of bird feeders in the trees on his side of the 6ft fence. Our garden and my next door neighbours garden became infested with rats. We both asked the fella to move, or lessen the numbers of feeders. His reply was that he was a keen bird photographer and they had to be there so he could take photos with his equipment that was all set up in his conservatory.
A few big signs with a selection of choice words as his backdrop soon had him moving the feeders.

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
When I was a young lad I kept Chickens,I built a coup on the side of a wooden shed. I put a concrete base down and used the shed as one side of the coup.
We lived in the middle of two farms and there was lots of rats. The rats chewed through the shed floor and through the side of the shed to get at the chickens and killed them all. I shot hundreds of rats after that, I put bread on the garden and shot them through the kitchen window, I was obsessed and determined to rid the world of rats but I obviously failed.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Just noticed a nice pile of soil at my side garden fence. Obviously off a rat digging as next door feed the birds. Trap set with a source boilie and peanut butter spread around it.
watch this space

62tucker

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Forgot where I seen it but they done a experiment and set up a house in a concealed unit and let the rats run wild.
they ate everything and remember the living room was just a few bits left. They ate the full 3 piece suite

genesis

Account Locked
Just noticed a nice pile of soil at my side garden fence. Obviously off a rat digging as next door feed the birds. Trap set with a source boilie and peanut butter spread around it.
watch this space
Fasten it to sommat as the buggers have a habit of dragging the trap away and hiding. Especially those red rats that keep breaking out every so often ;)