Rain

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Need it badly. My stretch of river is desperately low. 3 sessions and other than a few drop backs and some chewed meat on the hook. Not a bite. Need some flow to spur them back on the feed.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Totally agree. We had forecast for thunderstorms and heavy rain and had a light drizzle. Need a good downpour.

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Well we got an hour torrential at tea time. Streams running down the street. Filled the empty water butts in the garden at least for the veg patch but made zero difference to the river levels. Was hoping it would. Gave it a few hours checking the online levels thinking of a twilight session but no joy. No significant rain forecast for a while either. Might have to stillwater till we get some proper rain.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
As boring as it sounds we need two weeks of steady rain. Not that light misty stuff that just makes you damp, not that torrential downpour that just washes stuff away and causes a mini flood. A nice steady rain that gets down into the water table and gently fills the carrier streams to replenish the rivers. In three years I've never seen the Arun so low.

Robwooly

Glad others are in the same boat - well not glad you know what I mean, I was reading some of the early season posts and it sounds like some areas a stone's throw away got a good soaking whereas others nearby had little if any. No doubt some areas will have had plenty and think we all moan each year about it for no reason. All four rivers I've fished looked as low as I have seen them in the first week, to compound things further my tench ponds look stale and also low.

It's very worrying, we certainly need a prolonged spell of rain and I would settle for a washout July all month long, once the school holidays start and if that coincides with a hot spell water usage goes through the roof so without a wet July or August things will look bleak this Summer and Autumn.

I fear it will take a year of extremes for the message of saving water to get across to more people as hosepipe bans never worked in the areas I have lived in. With fuel prices so high people know not to leave appliances on all day yet it's ok to have a bath every day or jet wash the drive for some bizarre reason, nothing seems to be wasted as much as water is and it's probably costing more fishes lives than anything else we lament about.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Our rivers were spot on back on the jubilee weekend but were a little slow if still a nice colour come opening day but then we had a ton of rain Saturday into Sunday that had visibly raised the rivers a reasonable amount by the next morning. That effect has probably gone again by now as we’ve only had a little shower yesterday since then amongst the warm weather but with more forecast tonight and some in the early part of next week I’m not worried about them getting too low here yet.

alsur

Site Supporter
The only saving grace about my local river is that it's mostly treated sewage.

On the other local river the EA are in process of removing a weir at bottom of stretch it will be interesting to see what effect that has.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My Stour is low and clear but you could still catch from there at the weir but not when any sun is shining on it. Not sure about the Severn, probably a similar story, but it'll probably be a few weeks before I fish it anyway. Don't expect much rain over summer, more like heatwaves and no Barbel fishing.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Lots of yellow & orange dots about with March - May being so dry
005F553C-5FC5-4156-BBDB-12FC350EA8CD.jpeg

tincatim

Site Supporter
There's definitely a big lack of rain in the UK, the rivers are as low as they get and when I drove across to Manchester last week, the reservoirs were shockingly low. Much as prefer dry sunny weather, we do need a good spell of rain to put some water back into the ground.

Its been drizzling a bit here this afternoon, not enough to stop me going fishing in two hours time though!

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Mine being the wyre and below. Its a spate river so it rises and falls quick anyway. Just sutting at normal levels is fine but better a foot or two on. Unfortunately its often way up or way down but thats what you get with a river thats only 20 odd miles long.