Rain.

jimbo1946

It is obvious the effect that prolonged rain has on rivers and their inhabitants , but what about stillwaters.Commercials to be precise.What effect (if any) does it have on fish behaviour under those conditions?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A lot of rain at this time of year will drop the water temperature which can of course have an effect. It increasing the water height doesn’t seem to effect them in my experience though unless run off really colours it up.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Our club waters are pretty much a constant depth. they might vary by about 2 to 3 inch at most. A stream feeds lake 1 which overflows into lake 2, the overflow from lake 2 then feeds back into the stream. It's not so much the rain that's a problem, but really dry weather when there's very little in the stream to feed the lakes, then the hot weather takes it's toll.

davylad

Site Supporter
The lake I fish kept the same level, even after all the rain we've had recently, and it fished very well. Then the level rose on the surrounding land, and it started filling the lake up, it only rose about 6" or so, but that's a lot of cold water, and the fishing took a little nose dive. It's still fishing reasonably well, unfortunately for me it doesn't seem to have affected the carp, and they're still chewing like mad.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
All still waters I fish are fed by a brook or stream of some kind so rain can have quire a big effect, if its cold water you will catch less in a summer drought rain can cause fish to feed, No set in stone rules though every venue is different

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's been raining almost nonstop in Leeds since yesterday afternoon, and still raining now

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
Same here in North Wales, and got a match today ?
My new brolley will be getting a run out by the looks of things

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Our club lakes are about 8' down on normal levels... we have only had 63% of expected rainfall in the area... we need all we can get

chappo

Last riverfest qualifier has been cancelled at Shrewsbury and final is next weekend
This has resulted in a refund and 3 short in the final - what a shame for those who were looking to qualify and had booked accommodation

62tucker

Site Supporter
Last 7 days up Northumberland up till dinner time Friday . No rain. ( pissed down last night )
The 7 days previous we had 3 inches.
my garden pond after the week of the 3 inches of rain when I do a weekly water test the KH Is always lower ?‍♂️

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Our club lakes are about 8' down on normal levels... we have only had 63% of expected rainfall in the area... we need all we can get

8 foot down :eek:

Do you just use shallow rigs?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
From the original bankside... sigh... yoof o' t'day :cool:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've never known such a wet October around here. Usually through spring, summer and autumn I get in at least 3 sessions a month but I've only got out on the bank once this month. Were it not for the rugby I'd have been bored stiff this month but with that finishing next weekend I really hope November is drier before winter hits!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The lake I fish kept the same level, even after all the rain we've had recently, and it fished very well. Then the level rose on the surrounding land, and it started filling the lake up, it only rose about 6" or so, but that's a lot of cold water, and the fishing took a little nose dive. It's still fishing reasonably well, unfortunately for me it doesn't seem to have affected the carp, and they're still chewing like mad.
I believe your pond is a perch pond, one that stays at the local water table, when the table raises your pond fills but then levels off.
I also fish a perch pond in a forest so when the weather is dry the forest sucks the level down and the pond follows the water table. It takes ages and lots of rain to bring the water level back up.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I wish the rain would clear off, want to get some piking done but the last 3 weekends the trent been too high and coloured.

Resorting to a commercial tomorrow, hope thats not coloured as well.

rudd

Site Supporter
The Suffolk/Essex Stour (store) actually dried up in places a few months back.
Talking to EA two weeks ago and they may impose hose pipe bans next year in Suffolk/Essex in an effort to help aquifiers to fill up to normal levels.
A big pipe needed from up North to East Anglia!