Rain? what rain? - OH That rain !!! (Neville Park, Snodland)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Up at 5:00 for work, checked weather forecast, no rain until 4pm - result!

Fettled a few minor bits in the grain store but on the bank and tackled up by 9:00.

Three guys already there & been ledgering boilies for a couple of hours with a single fish of 3lb banked - wind had picked up so they moved to top end of the lake which is quite sheltered and I took first open bay to give the method feeder a proper workout as per my plan. Was opposite a chap on a waggler, a brave choice given the sharp wind.

Had already made up groundbait (Super Crush Robin Red Method) and pellets (Fin Perfect Stiki Method Pellets 2mm) in work before leaving and my hookbait would be banded 8mm Band Ums Wafters in fluoro & washed out. For a change I wanted to try ChocolateOrange Haze as a squirt just on the hookbait

Main line 8lb, 15g Drennan in-line method feeder and a 4” 7lb QM1 hooklength, size 16.

Rattled that I’d forgotten my feeder arm but the head was in the bottom of my seatbox and there was an abandoned mini carp bank stick in the mud so that would have to do.

Gentle cast out to around 25yds, sink line, set tip and start 10min timer.

Local resident stops with his dog for a chat about the proposal to net the lake to stop fishing, he’s very against it as he feels it will worsen the problems without anglers keeping the youths in some form of check. Both stop in mid flow as my rod skips across my rest head and I grab it to lift into a lump that tears off stage left. A little while later a 6lb common slips into my net and my spectator exclaims “that was blinking quick!” - timer showed 8mins at the bite.

After this it was bite a cast and all but 2 landed - showed a little un of a pound or so the net way too soon and it back flipped to slip the hook, something really big ragged me stupid for around 10 mins then rubbed the hooklength on an underwater branch to split it in its middle :(.

Waggler guy and boilie guys all came round at various points to see what I was doing as well as 2 lads who had set up in the next bay (on floating bread :rolleyes:) because my rod was constantly in action but they weren’t catching at all - I was the only one in the deep water, they were all tight on margin reed beds using really big hooks.

Had loads of fun right up to 11:30 when the sky turned black, wind lifted massively and a torrential horizontal downpour hit - well no brolly or waterproofs with me (thanks BBC weather) I was soaked to the skin in around 60 seconds. No rush to tackle down, once you are wet you are wet, and used up the last of my bait on 3 more casts with 3 more fish.

Timer is immensely useful for method feeder fishing, didn’t get to 10min limit at all but as the feed built up I could see bites getting earlier, eventually to around 3mins - thing is the 3min fish were small, around a pound, whilst 4-5min fish were the 5-6 pound specimens. Biggest fish of the session was 8lb 5oz

All in all a great time and now everything is dripping gently in the garage until I can get it into the utility room tomorrow to dry fully.

Attachments

• 177A743F-B905-4F95-A22F-E14D56D06F37.jpeg
    177A743F-B905-4F95-A22F-E14D56D06F37.jpeg
    688 KB · Views: 3
  • 20442BB6-E038-4A16-B56E-F8F984F0DD26.jpeg
    20442BB6-E038-4A16-B56E-F8F984F0DD26.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 02D545D0-8AB0-4C98-9482-A8CC496988A3.jpeg
    02D545D0-8AB0-4C98-9482-A8CC496988A3.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 4
  • 80C972B5-757A-4EA1-9317-5B7A4C5FFDD9.jpeg
    80C972B5-757A-4EA1-9317-5B7A4C5FFDD9.jpeg
    745.2 KB · Views: 4
  • E44626E4-3D99-4180-8D7D-078A30CEA978.jpeg
    E44626E4-3D99-4180-8D7D-078A30CEA978.jpeg
    750 KB · Views: 4
  • 73896FFA-0517-4285-85A8-508FD83B5E08.jpeg
    73896FFA-0517-4285-85A8-508FD83B5E08.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 3

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Looks like you had a good days fishing, nice write up.

For me -
Thursday Perch fishing - 1 tiddler at the end of the day.
Friday Pike fishing - blank.
Today Perch fishing - blank.

...and now it seems like we're going into lockdown! :eek:
So good job that you've made a good day of it!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Looks like you had a good days fishing, nice write up.

For me -
Thursday Perch fishing - 1 tiddler at the end of the day.
Friday Pike fishing - blank.
Today Perch fishing - blank.

...and now it seems like we're going into lockdown! :eek:
So good job that you've made a good day of it!

lockdown or no lockdown I will still be visiting this lake - need the decompression time from the madness of work & as we are essential workers I won’t be off for the next 4 weeks.

Hope you’ve somewhere local to get a little bank time

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Good write up Karl and sounds like another great session. Sounds like you're taking the place apart mate?

It’s a bit strange - from what I’ve seen the only techniques employed on this venue are: freelined floating bread, pellet waggler, boilies on the bomb. Great in the summer but always going to be a big ask in the colder weather.

Short pole & pellet fished very shallow was a killer in the summer for me and my son - he’s not feeling the love for fishing in the cold & wet so I get longer solo sessions with a more match fishing orientated approach.

Luckily the fish are responding to the methods and I’m happy to take advantage :)

Silver fan 82

It’s a bit strange - from what I’ve seen the only techniques employed on this venue are: freelined floating bread, pellet waggler, boilies on the bomb. Great in the summer but always going to be a big ask in the colder weather.

Short pole & pellet fished very shallow was a killer in the summer for me and my son - he’s not feeling the love for fishing in the cold & wet so I get longer solo sessions with a more match fishing orientated approach.

Luckily the fish are responding to the methods and I’m happy to take advantage :)
You see it all the time mate, big hooks and big boilies which do have thier place but the majority on carp oriented carp waters take this approach. Maybe it was your different approach that made a difference? If the fish rarely see a method feeder maybe they weren't suspicious of it?
It is by far one of my favourite ways of fishing. Simple to set up and use, brilliant presentation and best of all the bites are pretty much unmissable.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Even had a couple of immense drop back bites each session but lifting the rod still finds a carp on the end - cannot express how impressed I am with the Guru QM1 hooks though, properly amazing.

Unlike on commercials these fish hardly, if ever, see pellets and I’ve not seen anyone other than me use groundbait in any form. The Robin Red active method is brilliant, dropped some in the shallow margin by accident and seeing it fizz & burst apart convinced me of its fish drawing potential.

Similarly with the Haze additives - convinced its worth its price - to get a hit after just 8mins on the first cast into the featureless middle of a lake means there is a tremendous amount of draw coming off that relatively tiny amount of feed to spur a fish into investigating/feeding & I think these liquids are a major part of that.

Last bite of the day I was trying to squeeze some water from my hat and looked down to see the reel handle cranking backwards onto a self hooked 5 pounder - if only river roach were so obliging :ROFLMAO:

Silver fan 82

Even had a couple of immense drop back bites each session but lifting the rod still finds a carp on the end - cannot express how impressed I am with the Guru QM1 hooks though, properly amazing.

Unlike on commercials these fish hardly, if ever, see pellets and I’ve not seen anyone other than me use groundbait in any form. The Robin Red active method is brilliant, dropped some in the shallow margin by accident and seeing it fizz & burst apart convinced me of its fish drawing potential.

Similarly with the Haze additives - convinced its worth its price - to get a hit after just 8mins on the first cast into the featureless middle of a lake means there is a tremendous amount of draw coming off that relatively tiny amount of feed to spur a fish into investigating/feeding & I think these liquids are a major part of that.

Last bite of the day I was trying to squeeze some water from my hat and looked down to see the reel handle cranking backwards onto a self hooked 5 pounder - if only river roach were so obliging :ROFLMAO:
I've not used the QM1s but have only heard good things about them. Having good quality bait that you have confidence in is half the battle. Its true what they say and I've noticed it myself, if your confident in what you're doing then you fish better and have a more enjoyable session.
So I'm guessing you'll be back at the next opportunity?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Absolutely - Wednesday afternoon pencilled in (time off in lieu) and Saturday in with a highlighter, bold and underlined :LOL: