Radiator paint.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Currently doing the "D" job. This includes taking a radiator off and giving it a good clean and re-paint. The last time that I did that was in my bungalow two years ago. Now, having bought a small tin of Ronseal radiator paint I've discovered that "they've" changed the formula. It's now water based - and hopeless. Two coats on and it's going to need another. It's all very well this saving the planet stuff or whatever excuse that is offered but the product is now not fit for it's purpose.

jay67

think the one i used was hammerite rad paint . came out nice , and only needed one coat

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I seem to recall thinking it would be cheaper to buy a new radiator than paint with the enamel radiator paint I have ( I only use it for touch up )
I did put a few covers over mine in the end.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
you really need an enamel paint, solvent based,

and give the rad a good rub over first with coarse wire wool to get a suitable key for the next coat

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Dulux satinwood is very good for painting radiators, radiator enamal paint although doing the job its made for will stink the house out.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Dulux satinwood is very good for painting radiators, radiator enamal paint although doing the job its made for will stink the house out.
That's the original stuff. You can't get it now hence my original gripe.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Plus 1 for satinwood. You can (or could) get test pots, and also colour match it to your walls.

breadflake

Site Supporter
I used car aerosol paint on a couple of rads, took them off and then outside made a good job
but as with all other paint I think it is different stuff today.
might try that satinwood on the bathroom one that has been wanting doing for a while now.