R. Severn - Mytton & Mermaid Hotel at Atcham

corkycat

Last week I had a two-day session on a stretch of the Severn downstream of Atcham, on my Lymm A.C. card. I decided to stay overnight at the Mytton and Mermaid hotel in Atcham itself. Great place to stay, great ale and great food. What I didn't know was the river runs by the side of the hotel's garden and the management have cut three pegs into the bank which means that you could fish 10 yards from the boot of your car. Unfortunately the hotel manager and her staff don't know anything about fishing and were unable to give me any information on how I might fish that stretch; all they could tell me was that they had seen "men catching barbel" Added to this, as the river was running high I was unable to "read" it with any accuracy. I am wondering if anyone has fished those pegs (just down from the two bridges) and could give me any pointers as to where to place my pellets/meat.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

squimp

Site Supporter
I’ve stayed at the hotel a number of times and it is very good.

i didn’t know you could fish from the garden, so next time will take a rod.

my advice for the barbel is to fish steady, not boily water. Ideally no faster than walking pace. So the higher the river, the closer in you fish is a good rule of thumb.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Last week I had a two-day session on a stretch of the Severn downstream of Atcham, on my Lymm A.C. card. I decided to stay overnight at the Mytton and Mermaid hotel in Atcham itself. Great place to stay, great ale and great food. What I didn't know was the river runs by the side of the hotel's garden and the management have cut three pegs into the bank which means that you could fish 10 yards from the boot of your car. Unfortunately the hotel manager and her staff don't know anything about fishing and were unable to give me any information on how I might fish that stretch; all they could tell me was that they had seen "men catching barbel" Added to this, as the river was running high I was unable to "read" it with any accuracy. I am wondering if anyone has fished those pegs (just down from the two bridges) and could give me any pointers as to where to place my pellets/meat.

Many thanks in advance for any info.
Go on Lymms Forum and ask there, Phil and the other bailiffs should be able to give you the answer