R.I.P. The Glebe A.C. 1963-2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Tonight as I went to renew my subscriptions for the 2003 year it was with great sorrow and much shock that I was to learn that after 39 years in existance that the Glebe Angling Club, MY club that had been part of my life for all that time is to close and no longer exist.
(pending decision at AGM)

You will forgive me if I tend to babble a bit but it has come as a bit of a shock.

Way back in 1963 the Glebe A.C. was formed by a group of friends who fished a small gravel pit opposite Billing Aquadrome and behined the sewage works in Northampton.

It was formed after a gang raided the works trucks and stole 1000's of pounds worth of tools. The then manager of the site wanted to know who fished down there and we were asked to form the club and submit a list of names and addresses of members. Who were asked to keep an eye open and report anything strange going on.

Being under 18 at the time I could not obtain a membership of my own, but, however I could fish on my dad's ticket which was just as good, as far as I was concerned.
On that lake I was to learn a great deal from the older members, who, I got know well.

In 1970 after many years of waiting I was to receive my very own membership card and boy was I the proud one, at last I could vote at A.G.M's God I could even stand as an officer of the club.
This I did from 1976 to 1986 10 years on committee, which saw the introduction of 5000 carp, stocked as a result of a rental rebate from our landlord (and quite poss. the cause of the club's present demise)

Over the years the lake changed in shape due to landscaping by the owners, entry began to be restictive as new works were built, but we still fished it.

This year it was my eldest son's 17th birthday, and he would have been the third generation to have joined the club from my family, my dad, me, and Kirk. However this was not to be.
This summer the rental was up for review and the club, not being in a strong finacial position (after all it was only a small club 50 members + O.A.P.'s 60 total) was gazumped by a rich carp specimen group.

Words cannot describe just how sad I feel about the loss of this water it seemed just like a second home to me. I knew every gravel bar, every deep hole, it could be a real b***h to fish at times but the rewards were well worth it.

As I write this I wonder if this is the way of small clubs in the 21st century, will they have to join bigger clubs to stay alive or will all waters go to rich sindicates.
A couple of years ago our then match secratery wrote about the demise of the small clubs in a magazine was that foresight or did he know????

Anyway I'm glad I've got you crazy buggers, it eases the loss a little.

Born To Fish
Forced To Work

Lid

I don't know the law, but can't your club claim ownership of the carp seeing as they (probably) stocked them?

G

A sad day indeed Bluey, [:(][:(].

As Leighton said are the carp the property of your club, i ask about to see how you you/your club stand with ownership.

You never know the gazzumpers might have to pay for the stock,no consolation for the loss of the club but at least they might have to pay for the stock fish.

Sad news indeed, [:(][:(]

catch me if u can
Andy,

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Steve,
It's always sad when a club folds especially after so long.
However just because a club looses it's water doesn't mean to say that the club has to cease to exist.

My own club has just celebrated Forty Years and unfortunatly no longer has it's own waters.
What it does have is a strong hardcore of members.14-15 club matches are fished every season for the various club trophies.Inter club matches are arranged and a team is entered into the Supercup each year.

15-20 years ago it was all but impossible for a small club loosing it's water to survive unless it was swallowed up by a larger club or Assocciation,and thus loosing it's identity.
It is a lot easier for a small club with no waters of it's own to survive nowadays.
Especially down here in the south as there are numerous venues available to be booked on a day ticket basis by small clubs.

Come the AGM sound out a few members before any decision is taken to see if there is that Hardcore of members committed to ensuring that the club continues in existance in one form or another. Just because you've lost the water doesn't have to mean the death of the club.

Good Luck.[;)]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Carp are wild animals and belong to the owner of the land they are on. Irrespective of who bought or stocked them. This applies just as much to pheasants to. As soon as a club or individual stocks a lake etc ownership of the fish then reverts to the owner of the water.

chill out go fishing

Lid

Thanks for clarifying the ownership thing John. Do you know who owns the fish if the owner of the water is different than the owner of the sporting rights? Something that seems to happen quite a lot, at least round here.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was under the impression that if fish were stocked to a landlocked water ie Pond/Lake the ownership of the stocked fish is retained by the purchaser.
If stocked to a river or canal ie not landlocked then the ownership of the fish is 'lost' to the watercourse.

So therefore if a landowner who also has the fishing rights of a Pond/Lake chose to deny the stocker of the fish access to fishing and decided to offer it to someone else as in this case, the stocker should be able to remove the original stocked fish or at least sell them to the landowner.

I'm sure the above is correct and I'll try and get clarification on it for you

Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Bluey

Just had a conversation with a man in the EA and basically the ownership of the fish stocks of a landlocked water belong to the riparian owner of the land unless there is something included in the terms of the lease if one was drawn up at the time of either initial rental or stocking of the fish which makes provision for removal of the stocked fish once the lease is up or transferred.
This is only a generalisation though as other factors could be taken into account and their advice was to seek legal assistance.
On other thing that was also suggested and may be the best avenue to go down is to contact the ACA (Anglers' Conservation Association) because they are quite experienced in matters such as this.

All the best,

Dave

norm

dave you just listen to esox and me in future (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.