R.Derwent, Whatstandwell

Has anyone fished The Derwent at Whatstandwell on The Family Tree stretch recently ? Any info on which peg, method primarily for Grayling would be appreciated

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've not fished it for a few years now, but I've caught grayling every time I've fished it, and brown trout most. I've never caught another species from there actually, although I think there are the odd perch and chub knocking about. My go to was always just fishing maggot on the stick float and loose feed maggot - I think that was mainly a I wanted to catch grayling on the stick more than it necessarily being the best method. If they aren't having it on the stick, maggot feeder was always a good back up, but it IS rocky, so be prepared to lose the odd feeder, and it being on a weak link paternoster isn't a bad idea.

In terms of which swim, I've honestly not found it matters. They're there, and you'll catch them.

commieboy257

Account Locked
my mate owns land with fishing rights on the river just about opposite the pub. tells me there's bugger all in it on his stretch