quiver tips

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
ive got a shakespeare 12ft feeder rod with 3 tips supplied but the 2oz tip seems to not suit the rod at all . it seems too stiff for the rod , has anybody else thought the same with other quiver tip / feeder rods at all

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
On a still water I tend to use the lightest and only resort to something like a 2oz if I am on running water with a fair pull. As long as the quiver follow the bend in the rod you should be ok. On a river the rod will bend slightly anyway and this will lessen the illusion of the quiver being too stiff. Try it before you write it off.(y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I know what you mean Kev. Some tips aren't correctly balanced to the blank and can create flat spots where the tip meets the top section. The Daiwa harrier was a prime example of this many years ago. Fine with slow taper tips up to say 1.25oz but then Daiwa in their infinite wisdom supplied a fast taper 2oz tip which left the rod feeling heavy and cumbersome. It didn't work at all as the blank was too soft. My suggestion would be to use your rod with tips up to one ounce for silvers and then you'll feel the fish more. Good luck. ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I know what you mean Kev. Some tips aren't correctly balanced to the blank and can create flat spots where the tip meets the top section. The Daiwa harrier was a prime example of this many years ago. Fine with slow taper tips up to say 1.25oz but then Daiwa in their infinite wisdom supplied a fast taper 2oz tip which left the rod feeling heavy and cumbersome. It didn't work at all as the blank was too soft. My suggestion would be to use your rod with tips up to one ounce for silvers and then you'll feel the fish more. Good luck. ?

You would have thought that the larger tackle names would have got that imbalance sorted by now. If I remember correctly, Maver brought out a feeder rod that was the same, imbalance on the 2oz tip. I have a TFG feeder rod (10 foot) that came with 4 tips, 2, 3, 4, and 5oz and yet stays perfectly balanced no matter which tip is used, no flat spots either and half the price of a top branded rod. You can say what you want about TFG rods, but they certainly got this one right.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You would have thought that the larger tackle names would have got that imbalance sorted by now. If I remember correctly, Maver brought out a feeder rod that was the same, imbalance on the 2oz tip. I have a TFG feeder rod (10 foot) that came with 4 tips, 2, 3, 4, and 5oz and yet stays perfectly balanced no matter which tip is used, no flat spots either and half the price of a top branded rod. You can say what you want about TFG rods, but they certainly got this one right.
Can I ask Peter ..... Where did you get the rod from ? I've never seen any TFG gear anywhere ? I've heard of it but never seen it. ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Can I ask Peter ..... Where did you get the rod from ? I've never seen any TFG gear anywhere ? I've heard of it but never seen it. ?

Off Ebay mate (Fishtec Direct), there are 2 versions of it...an 8ft and the one I opted for, the 10ft. You've probably seen me using it Mick, it's my 'go to' tip rod. I have their catalogue somewhere.
You can buy it direct from TFG too. A very nice rod to use. And at £55, well worth the money. (I have 2 of them).

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Off Ebay mate (Fishtec Direct), there are 2 versions of it...an 8ft and the one I opted for, the 10ft. You've probably seen me using it Mick, it's my 'go to' tip rod. I have their catalogue somewhere.
You can buy it direct from TFG too. A very nice rod to use. And at £55, well worth the money. (I have 2 of them).

All I could see was that you were running out of water to fish as Sly dragged that island closer and closer. ??

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
dont get me wrong , the rod is a joy to use with the 1 and 1.5 0z tips but when i put the 2oz tip on the rod, its totally different . it feels very unbalanced , and cumbersome .

PAB

Site Supporter
I some times wonder if I need a quiver tip on commercials with the mud pigs just pulling the rod in a tip of any Tc would do

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I some times wonder if I need a quiver tip on commercials with the mud pigs just pulling the rod in a tip of any Tc would do

I bought a new rod, a Greys TXL Twin Tip, 1.25lb TC and wanted to try it so went to a commercial with the 1.5oz glass tip and all I caught were Gudgeon. :LOL: They still rattled the tip as well. It's too heavy for commercials though, will be my Chub and Tench rod.

Nicky Dodds

dont get me wrong , the rod is a joy to use with the 1 and 1.5 0z tips but when i put the 2oz tip on the rod, its totally different . it feels very unbalanced , and cumbersome .
Which model is it and how old?
Is there a massive weight difference between the tips?
Are the tips all made from the same material?
With the 2oz tip fitted and line threaded through it does it still produce a reasonable curve or is there an obvious flat spot and if so whereabouts?
How do you interpret cumbersome as the tips should be more or less the same length meaning the dimensions of the rod wouldn't alter?

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
shakeapeare superteam 12 ft feeder nicky, the tips i think are all carbon and until recently ive only used it with the 1.5oz tip which is great . but on trying the 20z tip its like a totally different rod. there isnt any obvious flatspots just a small area just past where the tip goes into the rod that isnt right .

DevonDangler

Site Supporter

I am of the same thoughts. I rarely use a light tip when feeder fishing for carp on commercial fisheries, the takes are so noticeable anyway. No need to risk breaking a light tip, save them for silver fishing ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Good 10ft float rod as well ..I had a few of their feeder rods really good to not comparing them to top brands but I thought they were excellent for the money . I would still have them now if they hadnt been stolen