Quiver tip strength on rivers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It was very much summer conditions last time I feeder fished the Severn but I used I think a 2.5oz maybe even 2oz for a bag of dace plus a few roach and a barbel. Used the same sort of tips when I’ve fished the wye in similar conditions. 40g feeders if I recall.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Well I'd like to use my 1.25lb Greys rod on the Severn with the strongest 3.5oz tip but feel it would be too light in all but the lowest condition. Not disagreeing with any advice given, just stating what I do, it's a great rod for the smaller river I fish. On the Severn I use a 1.75lb Korum Barbel Rod with the only tip it comes with. No doubt someone will say they fish in flood water with such a rod now!
Zerky, you know I fish the Severn 3m up with a 3oz tip, 🤣🤣🤣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I must be a Carbeller! What's the advantage of a light tip when Barbel fishing then? For me 2 to 3 oz feeders and a Barbel rod (on the Severn that is).

Dropon

We are spoiled with with all the videos we can watch. Matt Godfrey on the tidal Trent I a classic example ,he presents well in front of the camera. James Robbins is another , very! good information in his videos. Lee Kerry as well. These can all present well and show how it should be done

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I've only got 2 tips, 3oz and 4 oz then a 1.75tc Avon top, I don't like using the Avon top as it feels too stiff in use.
When it's flooded I try to find a crease on a bend in the river so it's not pulling the tip over too much. This is not always possible but I prefer the feel of a quiver tip.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The Korum rods are stiff but it doesn't matter to me using heavy feeders that act as a bolt rig. Agree on the videos, it's a good time to be alive. :D

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When fishing for silvers you probably get a bit of a bolt effect off any size feeder as they are going to make up a reasonable proportion of their body weight so even in a running rig will give a fair bit of resistance when fished fairly direct.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Well I'd like to use my 1.25lb Greys rod on the Severn with the strongest 3.5oz tip but feel it would be too light in all but the lowest condition. Not disagreeing with any advice given, just stating what I do, it's a great rod for the smaller river I fish. On the Severn I use a 1.75lb Korum Barbel Rod with the only tip it comes with. No doubt someone will say they fish in flood water with such a rod now!
I use an acolyte 😇

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
One thing that I see inexperienced anglers do when fishing a feeder is simply throw too heavier feeder into their swim and then sit there wondering why they can’t get a bite. This method works when the river is chocolate but, rarely works when it’s clear or carrying a tad of colour. In this situation it’s best to roll your feeder. Get it moving. Don’t just leave it there. I balance my feeder so it is just and I mean just holding bottom. Then using a Shimmy bait runner I can alter the drag so that the feeder moves across the bottom while my bait runner clicks away gently. Get this right and I will guarantee you a fabulous days fishing. To balance my feeders I use those wheel balancing weights. Cheap as chips off eBay.