Quiver tip rating accuracy

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have had a quick search and what I read seemed to confirm my belief that quiver tip ratings are not that accurate between different rods. I would expect them to be as they are a measure of test curve if I'm right, the amount of weight needed to bend it 90 degrees. But it seems to me that there's as much variation between tips between different rods and manufacturers as there is between hook sizes. So one mans 2oz carbon tip might be a lot heavier than another 2oz tip on a different rod.

Is this right or do you find they are more or less accurate? Otherwise it might muddy the water slightly when talking about tip ratings?

On another note, I know that stated casting weight on rods, having heard Lee Kerry talk about it, are often changed by the 'Brand' after receiving the rods from the manufacturer. So Preston might buy a blank rated 80g casting weight but then release it stating it's 60g if they feel it's more in line with what the rod is capable of, again rendering casting weight rating as just a guide. Does a similar thing go on with Quiver Tips? It would seem so to me from the different rods I have.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Quiver tips have never been exact and it does not matter one bit as you should select the tip to suit the conditions and performance required.
Best thought of as light,medium and heavy really.
The same applies to floats as the materials used to make them mostly balsa varies so you get a 6 no 4 float that might take 7 or 5 no 4 but you make your selection to suit the conditions.
Just reading a description on a rod will give you a general idea of what its for but until you handle it you cant be sure it will do what you want.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks, Ken. That kind of confirms what I thought about them not being exact.

Just to give an example, I got a Tricast Distance Feeder rod today with 1oz, 1.5oz, and 2oz tips, now I know how to select a tip, but compared to say a Guru N-Gauge with the same rated tips, the Tricast are a lot stiffer. Likewise with a Greys rod, the tips are much thicker but seem softer, even the Carbon tip. And with other feeder rods I have, Shakespeare, John Wilson, Browning etc the tips all vary quite a lot when comparing like for like ratings of the same material.

Simon R

Site Supporter
You've also got to bear in mind that some companies (Drennan for instance) sell quivertips with different tapers
The 2oz fast-taper Drennan tip is markedly different in the way it bends to the standard taper 2oz tip.

Carbon tips are generally stiffer than glass tips of a similar tc and also react differently to bites.

Some of the 'universal' tips that you sometimes see for sale can be miles out - I wanted a couple of stiffer tips for flooded rivers but since they wouldn't get used much I didn't want to spend much and got three tips for a fiver - marked as 4oz, 6oz & 8oz. The 4oz & 6oz appeared to be identical and were probably nearer the 6oz mark and I had a struggle to bend the 8oz tip at all:p:p

Simon