Quite A Quick Quiver Query

Norman Baits

Account Locked
Hi guys, I'm new to Maggotdrowning, in fact I'm pretty new to fishing per se and I'm hoping that someone might help me help with regards to quiver rods.

I went with my son to a tackle shop the other day and we both have quite weak rods that we bought second hand from Cash Converters to see if we like fishing. Both of our rods have a low casting weight (mine is only 20g) and my son asked a staff member in the tackle shop to recommend a rod for fishing the River Don, which is quite a deep, fast flowing river with barbel that would probably be a bit too much for the rods we had.

He sold my son an own brand (Advanta) 12 ft, 2lb rod for £40 and said that it could handle heavy feeders (3 ounce easily, but up to 5 ounce) and hold the bottom well in the Don.

Then I said I wanted the same rod but it was the last one in stock, so I asked for something comparable and ended up with a Korum rod for £25 more. It's a 12 ft Barbel Quiver Rod (new model from 2019) with 2 quiver tips, a 4 ounce one and a 6 ounce one. He said it was comparable to the rod my son bought, i.e. it could do the exact same job casting, i.e. it could cast the same weight.

Since I got home I've been trying to find out the test curve and maximum casting weight for the rod I bought to see if it really IS comparable to my sons new one, but it doesn't say anything on the rod and wherever I see the Korum Barbel Rod collection on-line, it gives the test curve and casting weight measurements for every rod except the one I bought. Even the manufactures website gives the stats for the whole Korum Barbel range without giving them for the quiver rod I bought, but I gathered from a certain page (that I can't find now) that mine might have a test curve of only 1.5Ib.

Does anyone know if that's true for this rod?

Anyway, using this chart ... http://sportdemo03.24.testsider.dk/log/pdf/ddbait-download-158.pdf ... I determined that my new 1.5Ib rod (if that is indeed what it is) has a optimum casting weight of only 42.6g or an "effective casting weight range" of 35g to 50g, whereas my sons 2Ib rod has an optimum casting weight of 56.8g or an "effective casting weight range" of 45g to 65g.

So would you agree that the rod I bought isn't REALLY comparable to the one sold to my son and that the quoted 5 ounce casting weight (140g) is probably too much to be casting with either of the rods?

Also, what would I use the 4 ounce quiver tip for and what would I use the 6 ounce one for? And last but not least, could I even get a couple more quiver tips for it, say a 1 ounce one and a 2 or 3 ounce one, so that it would make the rod more even well rounded, i.e. for when I need it to be even more sensitive in much less challenging conditions?

Not being very experienced, I'm sorry if any of my questions sound a bit stupid and thanks in advance to anyone who can spare the time shed some light on this issue for me.

Steve (my name isn't REALLY Norman Baits, lol).

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Steve. Barbel rods tend to be 1.5 to 2.0 lb. They are probably fairly comparable. I wouldn’t get too hung up about casting weights, it’s not unusual to use 3-5 oz feeders with this type of rod. I wouldn’t put 1-2 oz tips on it if it comes with heavier ones as the rod would be very unbalanced if you did. I’d try using the 4oz first and if it’s struggling with the weight of the feeder fit the heavier one.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome onboard Steve

Is this the rod....

bettsfan

I would disagree and say that your rod is more than comparable to the other. It's all about getting a feel for it and your preference for heavy feeders. I normally start at 2oz feeders, rising if the river conditions dictate a change. I haven't fished the Don though but I find if i need a heavy feeder (4oz+) I tend not to cast but rather underarm. just experiment with the tips and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised what this rod can do. Good luck with it

Norman Baits

Account Locked
Welcome to the forum Steve. Barbel rods tend to be 1.5 to 2.0 lb. They are probably fairly comparable. I wouldn’t get too hung up about casting weights, it’s not unusual to use 3-5 oz feeders with this type of rod. I wouldn’t put 1-2 oz tips on it if it comes with heavier ones as the rod would be very unbalanced if you did. I’d try using the 4oz first and if it’s struggling with the weight of the feeder fit the heavier one.

Thanks for your reply Mark. It makes sense about the rod becoming unbalanced if I use the lighter quiver tips than those designed for it. I had a go with the rod on the Don 2 nights ago, I used the 4 ounce tip and it did seem to struggle a bit with a 3 ounce feeder (probably 4 - 5 ounce with the ground bait).

I know that I had more of a bend in my rod than my sons when we had the identical 3 ounce feeders on board so I'll try the 6 ounce tip next like you suggested and see how that does (I drew a blank but my son caught a 3Ib bream and a nice 9Ib river carp.

The 4 ounce tip will probably be more suited to pond fishing with a lighter feeder.

Regarding your comment about my dog, he's called Sid and he's a working whippet x border collie lurcher. I have his mother too. Shes a whippet x border collie (1/2 whippet) and she was mated with a pure whippet, so Sid is actually a whippet x border collie x whippet (3/4 whippet). Here's a few more shots of Sid....

...and a couple of Molly, his mother...

Hunting and photography are other hobbies of mine ;o)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wouldn't say that the Don was that fast-moving or had enough flow of water behind it to warrant much more than a 2oz feeder from what I've seen and fished it.
Plus in many of the industrial areas and downstream of them, there is still a good bed of silt on the bottom, too much weight and you'll bed into the silt.

rudd

Site Supporter
Welcome onboard Steve

Is this the rod....

A1.5lb test curve rod usually has a line rating up to 8lb

Norman Baits

Account Locked
Welcome onboard Steve

Is this the rod....

That's the older version of the same rod Dave. It was updated/improved in 2019, but still has the 4oz and 6oz quiver tips.

Norman Baits

Account Locked
I would disagree and say that your rod is more than comparable to the other. It's all about getting a feel for it and your preference for heavy feeders. I normally start at 2oz feeders, rising if the river conditions dictate a change. I haven't fished the Don though but I find if i need a heavy feeder (4oz+) I tend not to cast but rather underarm. just experiment with the tips and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised what this rod can do. Good luck with it

Thanks. That underarm casting sounds like a good tip for heavy feeders, just lob it in rather that trying to cast too far with it. I think I might actually get away with using a 2oz feeder on the Don when it's at it's normal height, but it doesn't take much rain for it to have a much stronger current. Some stretches are 15 foot deep in normal conditions and that can easily double in a flash flood. It's like you said, I need to experiment with the rod/tips. I just couldn't work out why they don't give the test curve and casting weight for that particular rod like they do all the others in the range. I've mailed Korum to ask them but haven't had a reply yet.

Norman Baits

Account Locked
I wouldn't say that the Don was that fast-moving or had enough flow of water behind it to warrant much more than a 2oz feeder from what I've seen and fished it.
Plus in many of the industrial areas and downstream of them, there is still a good bed of silt on the bottom, too much weight and you'll bed into the silt.

The Don isn't that fast at normal levels, but like I said to someone else on this thread, it doesn't take much rain for that all that to change and I think it's a bit faster down river from the Crimpsall sluice on the "prison run" in Doncaster (ha, just realised that I'm a Don caster) where it turns tidal. Good point about the silt.

Norman Baits

Account Locked
There are no set in stone rules as every rod is different in action and stated test curves etc may not be that accurate on a rod but here is a rough guide table:

View attachment 74316
So if my rod really does have a 1.5Ib test curve, a 3oz feeder probably was a bit over the top for it, especially using the lighter, 4oz quiver tip and even more especially when adding the weight of the ground bait to the equation. I'm a bit concerned that an 8Ib line might not be enough for bigger fish now though.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
8lb line will be fine in the Don for most uses. If at all unsure use something like 8lb Maxima or Daiwa Sensor, both will stretch to Goole and back before they break :)

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Do you mean get the test curve and casting weight for my rod? If so, that would be good. He'd have to make sure that they're for the newer, 2019 model of the rod.
Yes. He will see this thread now I’ve tagged him. Or you could PM him. He’s endorsed by Korum.