Quick Thames Session Afloat

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So after a proper session on the thames yesterday I decided to make the most of the nice calm warm weather and have another session today. I had things to do in the afternoon and treated myself to a bit of a lie in after 7 early mornings in a row for fishing and work so didn’t have time for a proper session. Therefore I’d decided to just take my boat out for a few hours and decided on the Northmoor stretch. Plan was just to fish short spells in a few different areas and just see what was about.

Was on the boat for about 3.5 hours but probably only fishing for a little over 2.25 hours of it and tried 4 spots with between 30 to 40 minutes in each one. The middle 2 were rubbish but the first and last were half decent and I ended up with about a dozen mostly decent roach, 3 decent chublet and a couple dozen or so bleak so not too bad from such short spells where you don’t really get the chance to get the fish going properly. The last spot was the most productive and I’ve had decent little sessions in its vicinity before so I think I’ll go for a bit of a longer session in that general area at some point.

All fish were caught on a 10ft daiwa ninja float rod paired with a daiwa ninja 2500 reel loaded with 5lb daiwa hyper sensor to a 5bb kamasan stick float to kamasan b911 size 18 to 2lb 12oz hook to nylon. This was set up to fish just off the bottom in depths varying between 5- 6ft. Hook bait wise most of the roach fell to a single grain of hemp with a few to single red maggot and everything else fell to single red maggot all over loose feed of mainly hemp with a few maggots.

Tbh given how calm and warm the weather was I did regret not getting up earlier and having a bit more of a proper session on the bank somewhere. However it was nice to get the boat out again as I’ve neglected it a bit this summer given I’ve had plenty of time to fish proper bank sessions recently. A few nice fish were had so was an enjoyable few hours.

Weather doesn’t look to clever next weekend but hopefully it’ll be alright for a session somewhere so I’ll be back out somewhere if I can.

Don’t tend to get the phone out on the boat unless I get a really good fish given the greater dropping it in the drink risk so just a pic of the launch point today.
1599407651843.jpeg

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Do you ever find any good chub spots when you’re in the boat?? By the way boat looks lovely, is it yours??

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Do you ever find any good chub spots when you’re in the boat?? By the way boat looks lovely, is it yours??

I’ve found a few that have had some good chub in them but catching them with my ability is a different matter! Had one of about 4lb a couple years ago but apart from that a little over a pound is about as good as I get out with any regularity.

And thanks yeah the boat was a joint purchase between me and dad about 3 years ago I think. Saw it in a magazine one day mid week and turned into a bit of an impulsive purchase as by the weekend I had somehow bought one out of a lock up on a farm near bath ? Was a cheap way of getting a semi proper boat really. Would like something trailerable and more sea worthy at some point but that’s a few years down the line yet as would require a more substantial car for starters ?

More to the point do you moor it up mid-river of the well worn peg? ?

You don’t half get hung up on stuff don’t you ??

I have actually fished quite a few pegs this year all of which I’d never fished before it’s just that as I’ve fished so regularly that given there’s not actually many pegs on most stretches (medley excluded tbf that’s me being lazy) so you do end up repeating if you want a good one and/or if it’s busy. Do usually have a pensioner in tow that brings too much gear as well so can’t really go yomping on miles looking for new ground. I’ll humour you though honest answer is I’m not sure as can’t quite see the surface of the bank on that stretch to tell if it’s grassy or not ? ??

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Why such an Heavy main line compared to the Hook and Hooklength, seems way to over gunned .

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I should be a neurologist never have any trouble touching the right nerve ?
Mate if you want to fish the same pegs then your choice, today was literally "whatever floats your boat" ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Why such an Heavy main line compared to the Hook and Hooklength, seems way to over gunned .

Is indeed massively over gunned. I basically just haven’t got my boat gear fully sorted yet it’s just a bit of a can do a bit of everything set up for now. Believe me it’s a horrible set up when you are used to acolytes! I’m going to get some pro float for the spare spool at some point and I’m holding out hope that a lighter 10ft rod appears on the market at some point. On my proper from the bank float fishing set ups I use an acolyte ultra with either 3lb maxima, pro float and float fish to 2 or 2.5lb hook lengths so nothing like what I use on the boat.

I should be a neurologist never have any trouble touching the right nerve ?

We are quite good at doing that to each other aren’t we ??

And yeah it’s just easier to have say 3 bankers on each stretch of which I can fish anyone of say 3 out of 4 times to guarantee fairly good days rather than risk wasting too many sessions on potential duds that I can instead just try once in a while to potentially find new bankers. As I said I’d not fished a single peg that I’ve fished this summer before this year and by giving most of them a few sessions I’ve now found a few more bankers to fish going forward. And a few to avoid ?

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice one Silver fisher , I was shocked at your opposite spectrum of gear .

Haha yeah the difference between the gear I use on the bank and that on the boat is chalk and cheese! Will get the boat gear right eventually but as I have many times more bank sessions than boat sessions funds obviously get directed to one more than the other