Quick Impromptu Canal Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So after yesterday’s successful and throughly enjoyable reservoir roach session I had no real intention to fish today as I needed a haircut then it was supposed to rain! However post haircut and family lunch the weather turned out just as nice as yesterday so I decided to muster what bait I had left lying around (which wasn’t much at all!) and have a few hours on the canal.

I started fishing about 3.15 and after 15 minutes the fish started coming quite steadily til about 5 then slowly tailed off til I packed up at 6.15. I missed no end of bites (one of those days where they bite every time you have a drink or chat to a passer by) but I managed to cobble to together 10 perch, 7 hybrids and 4 skimmers with the stamp of all species pretty good. Should have caught at least half a much again given the missed bites but for a completely spontaneous session I was happy to get out and catch a few fish.

Tackle wise having used my acolytes almost exclusively this year I thought I’d give the CR10 #1 a run out today. In hindsight that probably cost me a few fish as it’s not as quick or precise as the acolyte which is so good that it can bail you out by hitting bites that you aren’t really concentrating on/ready for. Anyway it was paired with my new CS4 3000 which was on its debut and whilst it wasn’t quite as good as my Sahara’s (it has a bit of a sticky bail arm) it did a good job. It was loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1g loaded crystal insert waggler to a size 18 to 2.25lb Kamasan b611 hook to nylon. I fished two lines, one at the bottom of the near shelf and one down the track with the latter the more productive. As I say I was rather short of bait so only had a few red maggots left over from yesterday which formed the loose feed and hook baits over sensas black roach groundbait which I found about 3 balls worth hidden in the garage.

All in all whilst I didn’t catch anything like as many fish as I should have from the number of bites I had the fish I did have were mostly of a good stamp so it was very enjoyable for such a spontaneous session. I’m away next weekend but if I’m back in time on Sunday and in a fit state I might pop back down there again.

Few pics of the swim, one of the smaller and one of the bigger skimmers and a perch and hybrid that were a bit over stamp.
1623005941112.jpeg
1623005966632.jpeg
1623005977554.jpeg
1623005989539.jpeg
1623005998284.jpeg

Last edited:

TRFC2000

Site Supporter
Haven't fished the canal since I was a young boy but watching videos on you tube and since joining maggotdrowners think I may try out our local canal this afternoon 🤔

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Haven't fished the canal since I was a young boy but watching videos on you tube and since joining maggotdrowners think I may try out our local canal this afternoon 🤔
Tbh I don't fish canals very often. I'm generally on stillwaters and the sea in the closed season and on the rivers the rest of the year. The canal is just my closest club venue so is convenient for spontaneous and/or short sessions. That said I wish I had fished a full say 6-7 hour session yesterday with more bait as they were fairly up for it so reckon I'd have at least tripled my catch which would have been a decent weight given the stamp.

Last edited:

adriang

Site Supporter
Walked 2 stretches of the Oxford canal on Sunday. It was a very sunny day, but saw a lot of roach and it looked very fishy.

@Silverfisher how busy is the boat and the towpath traffic where you were fishing?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher how busy is the boat and the towpath traffic where you were fishing?
Given it was late on a Sunday afternoon it was not too bad at all but suspect a bit earlier in the day or any time on a Saturday would be quite busy since its warmed up in the last couple weeks. Almost certainly fine in the week though. Both the canal and the towpath are quite wide there so provided there's not lots of boats parked a few walkers and boats aren't too bad.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What stretch is it ,?
Heyford again. I was a bit late to the party as should have been fishing it the last few weeks given it seems quite good now but I left it alone once the restrictions started easing as thought it would get busy plus when it finally warmed up I was always going to move onto the big semi natural lakes that I've been fishing recently. Now obviously will be on the rivers 9 times out of 10 from next week but might still do the odd Sunday evening session on the canal given most my river sessions will be Saturdays or days off in the week to avoid the matches on Sundays.

adriang

Site Supporter
Given it was late on a Sunday afternoon it was not too bad at all but suspect a bit earlier in the day or any time on a Saturday would be quite busy since its warmed up in the last couple weeks. Almost certainly fine in the week though. Both the canal and the towpath are quite wide there so provided there's not lots of boats parked a few walkers and boats aren't too bad.
The section that @warrington and I have fished (Kidlington) has a few boats (they don't bother me at all), and the towpath is wide there, which helps a lot as its popular with walkers and cyclists.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The section that @warrington and I have fished (Kidlington) has a few boats (they don't bother me at all), and the towpath is wide there, which helps a lot as its popular with walkers and cyclists.
Only place that’s really bad for boats tbh is aynho. Like a water version of the a34 down there! Lot of walkers on a narrow path as well.

adriang

Site Supporter
Only place that’s really bad for boats tbh is aynho. Like a water version of the a34 down there! Lot of walkers on a narrow path as well.
We also looked at Wolvercote on Sunday, the ODAA stretch. Narrow paths and then fenced (railway tracks) would make the pole a bit painful. There were a few cyclists ignoring the fact that the footpaths were closed. Canal looked really fishy.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
We also looked at Wolvercote on Sunday, the ODAA stretch. Narrow paths and then fenced (railway tracks) would make the pole a bit painful. There were a few cyclists ignoring the fact that the footpaths were closed. Canal looked really fishy.
I believe that’s north Oxford club. The ODAA bit is from heyford to enslow. Never even seen the wolvercote bit tbh, you’re basically at medley there so would be a crime to fish the canal over the river there if in season so never even looked at it!

adriang

Site Supporter
I believe that’s north Oxford club. The ODAA bit is from heyford to enslow. Never even seen the wolvercote bit tbh, you’re basically at medley there so would be a crime to fish the canal over the river there if in season so never even looked at it!
We were trying to track down a stretch that we fished in a match years ago, during practice a good number of chub were coming out. You're correct about it being a crime when there is running water available. BTW, I've never seen Medley, so much water, so little time.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
. BTW, I've never seen Medley, so much water, so little time.
You should give it a go it’s probably the best stretch around here. It’s remarkably consistent most years and produces more species to more methods than anywhere else around here.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nice report Silverfisher. 👍. Up here it’s been lovely and peaceful on our canals but, now boats are allowed to travel I’m seeing a few ‘ weekend captains ‘ now. 😩. Looks like those bream have been rubbing off. 🤔

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice report Silverfisher. 👍. Up here it’s been lovely and peaceful on our canals but, now boats are allowed to travel I’m seeing a few ‘ weekend captains ‘ now. 😩. Looks like those bream have been rubbing off. 🤔
Thanks mate. Couple day boats came back about 5 with questionable parking skills that’s for sure! And yes the bream did look a bit beaten up.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks mate. Couple day boats came back about 5 with questionable parking skills that’s for sure! And yes the bream did look a bit beaten up.
Questionable parking skills …. 🤣🤣. I like that. Yeah we’ve got those numpties up here. 🙄

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Tbh having never driven a canal boat I doubt I’d be much better but some of them do appear to have absolutely no understanding of how a boat works 😅
I don’t mind the bad driving / sailing it’s when they park their barges over the disabled pegs just because they are close to the car park. 😡😡😡

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I fished the Godstow Rd stretch last year,
If you are thinking of fishing that stretch, travel light. It's like suicide hill going up the road to get on canal bank if you have to park at the bottom of hill.

adriang

Site Supporter
I fished the Godstow Rd stretch last year,
If you are thinking of fishing that stretch, travel light. It's like suicide hill going up the road to get on canal bank if you have to park at the bottom of hill.
We were looking by the Plough pub, parking and the walk was OK, except the bridge to cross the canal might be a bit steep. The narrow tow path wasn't great.. For a cheeky canal session, prefer where we fished. But for me, the Thames at Tadpole is closer, takes longer to load my gear into the wagon than it does to drive there...