QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Liking the new format Dave it seems to have great potential. What I wanted to know do you still have to resize photos before you upload them

Cheers Jim

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
On a more serious note, all you do is click the button in the reply window to add image (standard photo icon) - or you can press cmd+P on a Mac and I presume ctrl+P on a PC - and it will bring up a box telling you to drag the image into it. Do that :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Liking the new format Dave it seems to have great potential. What I wanted to know do you still have to resize photos before you upload them

Cheers Jim

The limit has been raised to 1MB so as long as you are adding pictures under that then the resizing is all done server side .
Some phones have the quirk of uploading images on their side. If that happens just report the post to a moderator as they have the tools to correct it

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You can even right click, select 'copy', copy the image, and then 'paste' it into a post

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter

Here's a tip for you all.....

On a PC:

If you click the arrow to the Left of the 'New Posts' tab (on the top row)
Then select 'New Posts' from the drop down
This will bring up a list of all the new posts you haven't read

Once you've done the above, look over on the right hand side about half way down and you will see 'Filters'
Click 'Filters' and a pop up screen will show with various options
Select what you want to see (multiple selections work) and then click 'Save as default' followed by the 'Filter' button

On the far left on the same bar you will now see: Show only:........ x
And the posts are filtered to show what you want to see

To remove the filter or change it just repeat the above

Then next time if you want to just see 'New posts' click the 'Whats new' drop down or in the Forums home page click the big 'New Posts' button on the right

On a phone or tablet .... coming later ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Private Message is replaced by Conversation - if you click the 'Inbox' button on the top right then select 'Start a Conversation' you can then enter the Username of the person you wish to talk to and fire off a message.
If you want to hold a private conversation with several people at the same time, simply select more usernames

EDIT:
By popular demand..... I've changed the wording 'Start Conversation' to 'Send Private Message' as it was confusing to many after so many years of private messaging

There are various ways to send a private message, the easiest is to click on the member's avatar in any post, or you can also click on your name at the top right of the forums and click 'Send Private Message' there.
Enter the user's name until you see it in the list then click on it and away you go.

Once they receive your message they will see a red square with a number in it at the side of the 'Inbox' button and from there they can read and reply.
They will also receive an email with the message in it., the same goes for yourself when you receive a message

It's also got the ability to invite other people into the conversation, so say for instance you've started a conversation with myself, you can at any point invite another member or members to join in,

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just a bit of fun davej , or a subtle way of giving the poster credit ;)

changrilla

Any chance of getting rid of the 'are you sure you want to mark forums read'? Yes, I just click the flippin' button didn't I. I can understand it when the consequences might be lost data but otherwise it just winds me up. Especially (not here) with 'are you sure you want to log out', drives me up the wall.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is there a ‘to the top of page button’?

It displays on the bottom right once you start to scroll upwards,

Alternative methods are click the Home button on the keyboard

However I'll also add a physical link to the bottom of the pages to take you back to the top - it's on my list :D

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is there a ‘to the top of page button’?
Start to scroll up then click on the arrow that appears on the bottom right hand corner of your screen, or if you have a Home key on your keyboard, just press that.;)
Laptop computer: The location of the Home key on laptops varies from model to model, and some don't even have one. If the keyboard contains a Home key, it will usually be on one of the number or function keys at the top. Also, you may need to use the Fn key and that number or function key at the same time activate it.

Google Chromebook: Chromebooks don't have a Home key, but you can get the same functionality by pressing Shift+Search Key (looks like a magnifying glass)+left arrow key.

Note: Apple computer keyboards do not have a Home key on the numeric keypad.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Any chance of getting rid of the 'are you sure you want to mark forums read'? Yes, I just click the flippin' button didn't I. I can understand it when the consequences might be lost data but otherwise it just winds me up. Especially (not here) with 'are you sure you want to log out', drives me up the wall.

Unfortunately not as it's written into the base code

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Wheres the ignore button, I was quite fond of the white space and removing some of the more insane/ignorant post(er)s

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wheres the ignore button, I was quite fond of the white space and removing some of the more insane/ignorant post(er)s

If you mouse over someones avatar you'll see a button that allows you to Ignore that person next to the button that allows you to Start conversation (Private Message) them.(y)