Question for the collective.

rudd

Site Supporter
Slider over groundbait with caster / dead reds and a small amount of corn / handfull of micro pellet.
Then fish live reds, dead reds, caster then corn in that order.
Always found you can up the stamp of fish being caught and get a few bonus fish by doing this.
Groundbait in that depth 50/50 crumb or crumb based with the other 50 a fishmeal based to ensure its sticky enough to get to bottom and carry freebies.

If wind in face would try fixed waggler just over half way down slope at 7 ft deep and would feed live maggot or caster.
Would cast a few feet past line and let waggler drift toward me. Hook bait will then fish on the drop, down to 7 ft in 8/9ft of water then come to rest on the slope. Can then gauge where fish are and depth they are feeding.
Any loose feed that gets down slope will attract fish up it.
Most bites will.be sail aways unless on drop as fish tend to swim back down or along the slope.

Just be aware deep water, slope and wind can cause tow alomg slope and feed / fish may be well away from where your bait is going in.
With either slider or fixed waggler be prepared to cast about to find where feed has settled.
Experience has found fish and bait to be three or four rod lengths away from where I thought it was, either to left/ right or right in front of me but away from bottom of shelf in extremely windy OR steady wind of 10mph plus as a tow forms on the bottom even in small venues.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Groundbait feeder all the way. I’d also find the bottom of the inside shelf and feed there for Tench and at some point drop a bait in there under a float. Worm and red maggot on the feeder. Corn or Caster on the float. I would definitely have a plumb up with a bomb to see if there were any underwater, fish holding, features and to see how silty it is.
If it’s rarely fished there’s no need for fishmeal. Standard sweet Bream type groundbaits will be plenty good enough.

Last edited:

ATTICUS FINCH

I would have a few reccce days looking for signs of fish and then a prebait session of maybe three evenings and then fish a g/bait feeder over it the following day with maggot or worm on the hook

rudd

Site Supporter
Alot of posters opting for groundbait feeders but would you use a quiver tip, swing tip or bobbin?
Natural lake, 12ft deep, steep slope.
Will be fishing around two to four rod lengths out to bottom of shelf.
The angle from a quiver tip will be severe with taught line running just above slope all the way.
Liners, fish spooking off taught line.
If fishing a lead or feeder from experience using a bobbin with a slack line laying along the bottom is far mkre positive but still not as positive as a slider! ?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Alot of posters opting for groundbait feeders but would you use a quiver tip, swing tip or bobbin?
Natural lake, 12ft deep, steep slope.
Will be fishing around two to four rod lengths out to bottom of shelf.
The angle from a quiver tip will be severe with taught line running just above slope all the way.
Liners, fish spooking off taught line.
If fishing a lead or feeder from experience using a bobbin with a slack line laying along the bottom is far mkre positive but still not as positive as a slider! ?
Fine, if you want to fish,only, 2-4 rod lengths out. But what about 20mtrs and beyond? I love watching a float but feeding becomes awkward at distance. Feeder is guaranteed to deposit feed close to your hookbait.
You can also fish a quiver with slack line and just watch the line.