Question for the collective.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
The time.
Now on-wards
The venue.
Natural lake dropping off fairly steeply into 12-13 feet. No island(s), no lily pads etc.
The species.
Roach, Rudd, Bream, Tench, Perch, Pike and Carp averaging 8lbs with a few larger ones up to circa 20lb Definitely not over-stocked.

Without using a pole how would you fish it and what bait would you use?
I've been given permission to fish it but I mustn't and can't say where it is other than "somewhere on the Sussex/Hampshire border.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
More importantly what species are you specifically targeting...???

Total

Site Supporter
@RedhillPhil .....A slider float set up and possibly a leger rod of sorts with maggots, corn and few pellets as bait....It's really an exploration sortie for you Phil until you can understand what's going on in front of you on this new water....Good luck..(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'd be after the Bream and Tench so as above with a slider and cage feeder for me, put some groundbait and small pellets in and hope they move in, and also I'd choose maggots as hookbait with worms as back up in case there's too many Roach and Rudd.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
If it was me it’d be two rods, one with a popped up deadbait in the margin and the other setup as a drifter to search out old esox!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Were it a bit warmer still I’d probably fish the waggler up the shallower end of the slope (presuming it’s not so steep to make that impossible) but at this time of year I’d probably go with maggot and groundbait feeder.

buygoodtackle

If it is little fished I would forget pellet and concentrate on maggot, caster, worm and corn with wheat as a holding loose feed. Take some time to plumb up and try to find where the slope ends and the bottom levels off. This would be my starting point on the float/slider with maggot to see what is about and willing to feed. If lots of smaller fish turn to corn as a hook bait. Would also be tempted to put a feeder out, again to test the water and see what is about. Once I was familiar with the water I would if possible fish the float and put a pike rod (with a float) 5-6m away from where I was fishing.

bettsfan

I would probably start fishing the bottom of the marginal shelf (float) with maggot/corn and feeding hemp. If it is little fished I would also be tempted to rake a swim to clear out debris and see what is down there.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The 1st rod I would set up would be a way of plumbing the depth and finding shelves etc once I had got a general map of the area I would then sort out what I wanted to do. If as you say the water is around 12ft deep fairly close to the bank I would probably look at a slider approach tight to the shelf (if there is a shelf) and given the list of species I think I would start with fairly simple baits like maggot, corn, bread, worm etc. feed fairly gently at first just to get a feel for the place. I would take a cautious approach until I had worked the place out then maybe try other methods of fishing and feeding

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Thankyou all. Apologies, I forgot to say what I'll be targeting. Not the Pike just yet - as so often happens the owner has said, "there's Pike in there like ruddy submarines" - but I'm not interested in the Carp. Getting a bit late for the Tench but you never know. I'll let you have a full report once I've been.

bettsfan

Thankyou all. Apologies, I forgot to say what I'll be targeting. Not the Pike just yet - as so often happens the owner has said, "there's Pike in there like ruddy submarines" - but I'm not interested in the Carp. Getting a bit late for the Tench but you never know. I'll let you have a full report once I've been.
Out of interest RedhillPhil, how will you be approaching it?

Aztecca

Site Supporter
I'd go with natural baits maggots,castors,worm.
Probably try a cage feeder with a bit of groundbait,maggot and caster mixed in it.
Worm tipped with castor on the hook.

Silver fan 82

If it were me I would fish the feeder, probably groundbait feeder and take a selection of hook baits along.