Question for the carp anglers...

SUFC

I was watching one of the Ali Hamidi monster carp programmes and he caught a monster carp at night. Then he said that the fish "would be retained until daylight" so they could get a good look at it, weigh it, take photos, etc., But didn't give any details about it.
How would it have been retained? Doubt it was a monster-sized keepnet.

Silver fan 82

I was watching one of the Ali Hamidi monster carp programmes and he caught a monster carp at night. Then he said that the fish "would be retained until daylight" so they could get a good look at it, weigh it, take photos, etc., But didn't give any details about it.
How would it have been retained? Doubt it was a monster-sized keepnet.
They would have used a retaining sling. It's a fine mesh sling, like a big weigh sling, zip up toplike this:

squimp

Site Supporter
Sacks are old school and can be potentially dangerous.

These days fish are retained in a ‘retention sling’. It has floats on the top to hold the fish upright and is tied to the bank. The fish can’t get lost (and die) which can occasionally happen with old fashioned sacks. And sacks reduce the flow of water to the fish in hot weather - with potentially harmful results. Modern slings have wider mesh and so don’t have that problem.

Regardless of the above, I won’t retain a fish for any length of time - so I’d photograph it and return it ASAP.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
They would have used a retaining sling. It's a fine mesh sling, like a big weigh sling, zip up toplike this:
The carp sack you've linked to is of a type that are increasingly likely to be banned on many waters.
However, you were right about retention slings. They are more commonly used and accepted these days.
Trakker V2 Sanctuary Retention Slings

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve seen retention slings on the water I fish and think it’s ludicrous given the size of stock but it’s all the kids see on TV and YouTube videos so they all have them.

Catch it, photograph and weigh it and return it ASAP as far as I’m concerned - for the monster carp guys they have camera crews with portable lighting rigs so no excuse really other than pretty footage.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
As others have said, kept in a retaining sling, but not for me. I would give it C.P.R. Catch, Photograph, Release. With all the camera and lighting crew, in my opinion, there's no need to keep it in a sling, they can do the CPR at night. Keeping it in a sling all night will only stress the fish.