Question for builders.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Just a bit of idle curiosity.
Omitting the cost of land, architects fees etc.........
About how much would it cost to build a decent three bedroom bungalow?
Labour.
Materials.
Stuff.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I would think that’s like saying how long is a piece of string . The building regs are different now, a lot more insulation in houses, are you having underfloor heating, how many bathrooms, utility, garage, final spec finish.
We finished our house just over 2 years ago and we upped the spec on flooring, windows and doors to name a few things and the final price was 30-50% more.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
There are a couple of cost calculators on line.

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
If you search various internet sites you should be able to get a rough idea of costs per square foot. I built my own house using sub contract labour, did a lot of labouring for the various trades which made it considerably cheaper. As I was an electrical contractor the wiring didn’t cost a great deal.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
The best person to ask is Dave but you will need to be on his good side.

<Edit> Too personal - Dave :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
In answer to the original question, the cost is a so varied, not only depending on specification but also the land being built on, footings or slab, drainage factors, services in place, even the location has a bearing to play.
Then you've got local authorities who have their own quirks and requirements, plus having to spec it to fit into the local area, environmental issues, etc.

The online guides aren't much use other than as a very rough guide. The best thing to do is speak to a local architect and take some sketches of what you have in mind.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
In answer to the original question, the cost is a so varied, not only depending on specification but also the land being built on, footings or slab, drainage factors, services in place, even the location has a bearing to play.
Then you've got local authorities who have their own quirks and requirements, plus having to spec it to fit into the local area, environmental issues, etc.

The online guides aren't much use other than as a very rough guide. The best thing to do is speak to a local architect and take some sketches of what you have in mind.
Phil should be more concerned how much the electrics will be. That’s where most of the money will go. And if you want the electrician to sweep up after himself, 😳 well, his great grandkids will still be paying his invoice. 🤣🤣

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
And don't forget the mileage rate includes the finance for the new Mercedes van ;)