Quarry pool (now with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus

Quarry Pool

I didnt think Id be able to go fishing this weekend because my wife has gone to help her aunty whos just had a shoulder operation. I got a phone call from my brother in law at 12.00pm asking if he could come down and watch the cricket, so I seized my chance and asked him if hed watch the kids for a few hours whilst I fished up the quarry.

It was nice and peaceful when I eventually got up there and the surface was alive with cruising carp,chub,roach and rudd.

I catapulted out a few dog biscuits to start things off. I decided not to sit on a chair but to stay laid down on the floor so that I couldnt be seen against the sky line (Sometimes if you forgo the comfort you can get that much closer to the fish). This was certainly the case, I couldnt believe how close they were coming to the bank and because I could see them so well I could select the fish that I wanted.

I turned to my right as a big carp slurped down a dog biscuit and was blind sided by a rudd. It came up and took my biscuit and Id only glanced away for a second. (Cheeky blighter I thought) Oh well it was a pretty fish as you can see but I wanted a carp and if I couldnt catch one today when it seemed they were playing my game for a change then when would I?

lumixpictures052.jpg

I rebaited and flicked out a few more loose offerings and then allowed the swim (thats a joke, this pool is one big swim) to rest. I took in the beauty of the scenery for a few minutes.
Its beautiful up the quarry. It always takes me back to when I was a lad, I used to spend all of my summer holidays up there fishing. The place was my second home.

lumixpictures051.jpg

In danger of getting lost in my surroundings I was startled when the second biggest carp Ive seen up there re-entered the water (time to recast I thought to myself) I cast out again and thought Id hooked the biggy and although it wallowed sluggishly it ended up being a smaller brother.

lumixpictures053.jpg
A pristine conditioned smack on 10lb Common carp. Not a bad fish to start the season off and a double to boot.

lumixpictures055.jpg

You can see what I meant from this pic.The quarry pool is one big swim in itself. Small but capable of throwing up some really special fish every so often (not mine) but I've seen a 25lb mirror caught up there.
lumixpictures062.jpg
I've seen some strange animals up the quarry but the ducks are stranger than most.

Last edited:

maximus

Yes I know it is Strat2, it was just mu attempt at light hearted humour.lol
You'll get used to me mate.

phil-k

That carps a beauty .I really like carp when they are a dark chestnut colour. Well done.[;)]

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Every Carp i catch down the canal is that colour, it looks like a proper Wild Carp that, well done mate!

That pic of the water is amazing, i can just picture myself on a nice day with no wind fishing the surface there, wish i had somewhere like that local to me!

maximus

It's up above Llandrindod Wells Chris. It's over the hill from the local council estate but when you are up there you wouldn't know it. Because it is dangerous to the kids it is fenced off and pad locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.