Quality digital scales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooty

Hi everyone,
We (our club) are planning to invest in some new digital weighing scales and a heavy duty weigh net for the forthcoming season.
Any advice on the subject would be most welcome.
It seems a bit sketchy at the moment regarding the digital scales as some people have said they could be a bit tempermental when weighing.
Whats the opinion of the members on the matter?

Thanks,

Hooty.

Unholymoondog

Tinca Hunter
I would go for the Fox ones, they are excellent quality and very accurate.

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/productdetails/mcs/referrer/froogle/productid/1834/GroupID/14/CategoryID/157

groundhog

Life Survivor
Stick with Dial and tripod stand,there are no problem with batteries,low power,or parts of LCD readouts failing.
Dial and tripod are Tried and Tested and accurate enough method.
Digital are gimmicky,therefore more to go wrong.
Trouble with hand held digital they are too close to the body of whoever is holding them, Thus open to cheating and abuse.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
If you want digitals, go for the FOX ones, very acurate, and battery life is good.

Paul Roberts

The Turk
Hooty - stick with the heavy 55lb Salter Dial Scales.

I purchsed 2 sets of Salter Digi's and I wished I hadn't - must have sent them back at least 4 or 5 times and they're still not working properly (problem is the condensation gets inside the workings and screws up the electrics). I have 'binned' these now as I purchased the Salter Dial scales and these are so, so much better!! (Sorry, I haven't got time to go into every problem I had with the 'digi's but you can guess that I'm not impressed by them!!) [:D]
(I think Groundhogs comments are 'spot-on')

kleinboet

I would stick to the dial ones. I have gone through about 8 sets of digital scales and, because you don't use them everytime you go fishing, when you go to use them the $*^& battery is flat!!!
I use Berkely scales at the moment and, as they use watch batteries, I haven't had that problem!

newies_maggots

i have these 25 ebay and there just great, never had a single problem with them.

brilliant

salterelectrosamson.jpg

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by newies_maggots

i have these 25 ebay and there just great, never had a single problem with them.

I had them (and I suspect Paul did too - see comments above) and they're fine for a while but eventually stop working - condensation problems, poor battery life and the zero button ceases to work.

I've got a set of Fladens now which are better but I always carry a set of dial scales too - just in case[;)]

Simon

newies_maggots

ive have mine for over a year mate, only use when weighing my bag or a big fish.

never had a worry

smartmart16

our club have always had salter dial scales,but yesterday we used a new set of the elctro samson from salter.first time out i've got to say they were brilliant.hung em on a tripod and zeroed each time and no messing about with calling the weights.
i can't speak for reliability cos it was our first time,but it sounds like i better take the dial scales as well just in case.

n/a17

deleted
I second Groundhog,our club bought a set of digitals and they didn,t last a season, the Salter dial and tripod will last for years,and as Paul Roberts states condensation is a problem with digis.

Stewart Bloor

I've had a set of salter electro samsons for several years now and never had a problem.

Hooty

Cheers guys,
Mmm....Going out today with the club treasurer to have a look round but after the advice given we will be looking into it very closely!
Simon, you mentioned "fladens", are they the make and if so, what enviornment are you using them?
We fish 12 matches a season throughout the summer months, weighing in twenty-odd anglers every match,so whichever scales we buy will have to work under these conditions and not let us down.
Must admit though, we could be leaning to a good set of Dial scales!

Hooty.

Simon R

Site Supporter
They're used for all our club matches (and also for the annual trip to Cootehill - only 135 days to go[;)])

If you look on this link they're third from the bottom of the list
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Fishing_Scales.html

The Electro-Samsons were the better scales but I had so many problems with 'em I got the Fladens from a local tackle-shop that was closing down (only bought them 'cos they were dirt cheap)

They work most of the time but I have a set of Reuben-Heaton dial scales in the boot of the car just in case.

Simon

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Fox ones all the way but save yourself a few quid and don't buy the cammo ones

groundhog

Life Survivor
Originally posted by Simon R

They're used for all our club matches (and also for the annual trip to Cootehill - only 135 days to go[;)])

If you look on this link they're third from the bottom of the list
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Fishing_Scales.html

The Electro-Samsons were the better scales but I had so many problems with 'em I got the Fladens from a local tackle-shop that was closing down (only bought them 'cos they were dirt cheap)

They work most of the time but I have a set of Reuben-Heaton dial scales in the boot of the car just in case.

Simon
Think Simon R say's it all with this post Hooty.
Regards G.H.
[;)][:D]

bigdavewsf

ive never had a problem with the samson scales, our match lads used them for years

Status
Not open for further replies.