Qqba k on the Weaver

Ivan heaphurst

Barnton, Northwich to day, it was rain of Biblicle proportions this morning in fact I sat in the car for 20 mns after arriving wondering wether or not to get out and fish. That decided it was out and into the nearestpeg with a bit of cover from an upstream wind. It takes time to tackle up under a brolly so before anything else the groundbait was made and put in. The 15 ft magic wand was setup with an homemade 3BB awaggler . Lo and behold first chuck and a big Bream hooked. Could this be one of those days ? A fish a chuck Roach Skimmers even the odd Dace and Chublet. Th eBream were intermittent through the day but I ended up with five of them 4/5 lbs. fished atmost a rodlength out and the fish were within this range all day. Maggot red and white did the business on the hook, tried corn, a couple of touches, pellet and a bit of bread proved fruitless.
A very happy and productive day but can anyone explain why the Weaver which should flow from left to right here can stop dead and even pull quite strong from right to left. It didn't bother the fish as bites still happened which everway the river decided to flow. The trouble was I wasn't sure where my groundbait was ending up.
Why I have never fished this bit of the Weaver in all the years that I have wet a line in it, I don't know but it is certainly on the radar from now on.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've never fished that part of the Weaver either. I've fished the Trent & Mersey at Barnton quite a lot, either the Red Lion stretch in the winter leagues or Barnton Basin on club outings.
Is it by Anderton Boat Lift where the Weaver runs?

Ivan heaphurst

I've never fished that part of the Weaver either. I've fished the Trent & Mersey at Barnton quite a lot, either the Red Lion stretch in the winter leagues or Barnton Basin on club outings.
Is it by Anderton Boat Lift where the Weaver runs?
If you know the Red Lion bit of the canal then the Weaver is on the other side of the road. You need a Northwich card and code for the inner gate.

Guy Incognito

Midport Angling Club
Barnton, Northwich to day, it was rain of Biblicle proportions this morning in fact I sat in the car for 20 mns after arriving wondering wether or not to get out and fish. That decided it was out and into the nearestpeg with a bit of cover from an upstream wind. It takes time to tackle up under a brolly so before anything else the groundbait was made and put in. The 15 ft magic wand was setup with an homemade 3BB awaggler . Lo and behold first chuck and a big Bream hooked. Could this be one of those days ? A fish a chuck Roach Skimmers even the odd Dace and Chublet. Th eBream were intermittent through the day but I ended up with five of them 4/5 lbs. fished atmost a rodlength out and the fish were within this range all day. Maggot red and white did the business on the hook, tried corn, a couple of touches, pellet and a bit of bread proved fruitless.
A very happy and productive day but can anyone explain why the Weaver which should flow from left to right here can stop dead and even pull quite strong from right to left. It didn't bother the fish as bites still happened which everway the river decided to flow. The trouble was I wasn't sure where my groundbait was ending up.
Why I have never fished this bit of the Weaver in all the years that I have wet a line in it, I don't know but it is certainly on the radar from now on.

My Grandfather tonight me to fish on the weaver (aerosol, red lion and national lengths. Sadly I haven’t fished it for years as fishing commercials too over my fishing. I miss the river very much and keep thinking I should go back for the bream and roach.

Anyway, to maybe answer our question about the flow of the river. When I match fished it years ago I was alway told that the flow can stop and change direction due to the locks opening up

Rick

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Anyway, to maybe answer our question about the flow of the river. When I match fished it years ago I was alway told that the flow can stop and change direction due to the locks opening up

Rick

Probably right there. There’s part of the Thames here that’s splits where the original course goes over a weir and another cut goes through a lock and when the locks in use the original channel changes direction. Is certainly quite strange as I can’t work out the physics of how it works but it only lasts a couple minutes each time and not that often in the week at least so doesn’t effect the fish too much.