Q for the south wales anglers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
Has anybody fished margam park or maesgwyn if so - what do you think of them? Also has anybody fished the tennant canal lately?

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
no sorry mate

poleroller2003
chris the name fish the game

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I walked the Tennant canal up by Neath Abbey last Autumn. Very clear and I could not see a fish,

The Jersey Marine end is well coloured but very weedy. I do intend giving it a go this summer after I have bought a decent rake.

I haven't fished either of the other two.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Sorry Rob cant help on any of them

Dai Fish
Be nice to your kids because its them that pick your nursing home!

anyexcuse

Havent fished Margam but knowing the area at least you'd have some nice surroundings even if the fish werent biting.I've heard the odd snippets about it and there are some good bream to be had. I believe it fishes slow when there's been alot of rain(but then again doesnt everywhere). I'm not sure whether Maesgwyn is still open for coarse fishing as I understand it's either been sold or in the process of being sold.However I wouldnt go out of my way to fish it especially as they were charging 10/day to fish a muddy hole not much bigger than 2 tennis courts stuck together.Still if you're desperate for a catfish and like tennis I guess you might consider it.

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hello mate,

I Fished Margam park about 3 yrs ago ( on a rare occasion that Dooby ( my son ) beat me) like anyexcuse says there were some nice surroundings. There are 2 lakes but at the time u could not fish the lake by the house shame really cos there is some nice roach in there. The lake we fished was by the caravan park manly Carp some small skimmers but Dooby had some nice big Tench out of there. U book in and pay by the entrance and it is one hell of a walk so u want to travel light and not carry a shed full of match gear. If u want i can nip down there and get the full details for u, Phone No etc just let me know.

tight lines

Ray

Where there is one Bream there are many more

Dibber

Hi Rob27,

I live half a mile away from Margam, but very rarely fish it!
There are some good fish in Furrs Mill which at the moment is the main lake, my advice would be - go there mobile, be prepared to walk around and stalk the fish. There are some bigish Carp in Furrs Mill upto 18lb I think, quality Roach if you can get them to feed, and Tench upto 5lb, some good Bream have also been reported but I personally have not seen any of them. On the subject of Bream, if you want to catch real quality "Binlids" ask at the kiosk if you can fish the top boating lake, if the ranger says yes then pay for your ticket, go back out of the Park and turn right as if going back to the M4, after about 100 yds turn right to the Orangery, follow the road until a fork, take the right hand road and continue until you come to the boating lake. You'll see a car park right next to the water, this is where to fish as people regularly feed the ducks here with bread, fish a slider at about 9 meters out and feed heavy with groundbait, corn, and bread. My personal best here is 48lb 6oz for 8 bream and they all came like peas in a pod!

Well, all the best

Dibber

Status
Not open for further replies.