PVA on Method Feeder (MATCHES)

Line Clip

I have seen in the press that Phil Ringer, along with other anglers are using a feeder,
with a PVA bag attached to it with pole elastic ,this is so you can put larger hard pellets in the PVA bag on the feeder
rather than the 2mm normally used on a method or hybrid feeder ,
The idea being the larger pellets don't get eat by the smaller fish, and are left for Mr CARP.
Would a bomb with a small PVA bag with 4. 6. or 8 mm pellets attached to the baited hook, work as well do you think?
As anyone tried the PVA bag attached to a hybrid feeder (Jon Arthur You Tube tip) recent.

NathanP27

There's the T-bag method, which is what i use 15" hook length.

I tie the bags up, get a baiting needle, thread it through and hook the bag onto the hook.

As soon by Chris Vandervleit.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
been around for years but never tried it but it should and does work

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The only thing you have to watch out for is that you balance the bomb with the weight of the bag. If it's lighter it can slide up the line as you cast. If it's too heavy it can tear the bag.
A couple of casts and you'll soon know if you've got it right

Maverick

Site Supporter
I first saw this method used years ago by Jimmy Bullard in season 4 of fishing Gurus I think it was. He gave credit for the idea to Will Raison. Don't know if Will actually invented it or not but it has been around for years.

I tried it back then but had a poor day and like many ideas it got abandoned and put to the back of my mind.

I was actually using it on Tuesday after my good friend and fellow maggotdrowner @SteveAmo jogged my memory and gave me a few tips. (Thanks mate(y))

NathanP27

I first saw this method used years ago by Jimmy Bullard in season 4 of fishing Gurus I think it was. He gave credit for the idea to Will Raison. Don't know if Will actually invented it or not but it has been around for years.

I tried it back then but had a poor day and like many ideas it got abandoned and put to the back of my mind.

I was actually using it on Tuesday after my good friend and fellow maggotdrowner @SteveAmo jogged my memory and gave me a few tips. (Thanks mate(y))
What are the tips, I've had no success but really like the idea of it!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
There's the T-bag method, which is what i use 15" hook length.

I tie the bags up, get a baiting needle, thread it through and hook the bag onto the hook.

As soon by Chris Vandervleit.
He's my wife's cousin... taught me loads and a lovely bloke... one of the nicest lads on the circuit?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I must admit that using PVA bags or mesh is something I have never done. But I have watched TV programmes where the terminal rig, lead, hooklength and baited hook, are placed inside the bag along with pellets before the bag is sealed and cast out. Is there another way?

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
The teabag (mesh and pellets)on a bomb works just as well if not better than putting the bag onto a chunk of metal like the hybrid feeder,
Problem is the bomb and mesh bag is only accurate to a limited distance, even worse if you have a bit of sideways wind the accuracy is terrible over 35 plus meters,
Reason the Hybrid feeder is used is for good distance and better accuracy as it is more aerodynamic.

Quite often when I used to fish with lead and tbag for a match I would also have a method feeder set up as well in case the conditions got to bad for the tbag and I couldn't hit the same spot every time.

squimp

Site Supporter
I use variations of this method a great deal. small mesh bags, bigger mesh bags, sticks etc etc. Usually attached to the hook, or in the case of a stick threaded onto the hooklink.

Solid bags (lead and rig inside the bag) work well in heavy weed but are a last resort for me.

Adders27

I must admit that using PVA bags or mesh is something I have never done. But I have watched TV programmes where the terminal rig, lead, hooklength and baited hook, are placed inside the bag along with pellets before the bag is sealed and cast out. Is there another way?
A common carping method is making small pva mesh bags of pellets or crushed boilers and simply attaching it to your hook or hair hair rig by hooking it through the mesh. Doesn’t cast as well as lead in the bag but it’s a killer method and could work in a smaller scale for match fishing. You need lighter bags than your lead weight ideally.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The Barbel lads on the Lower Severn have been using pva mesh bags full of pellets/meat above the hook for over twenty years.
It's just a variation adopted from Carp fishing.

Maverick

Site Supporter
For me personally the mesh bag is a much better option than the solid bag, purely because I only fish small commercial waters.

I can tie loads of these up at home and they will last for months providing they are in an air tight box. On commercials they are quick and ready to go and we aren't casting far.

The solid PVA bag is favoured more by the big carp boys. These are tied fresh on the bank. They put whatever baits and pva friendly juices they want in larger bags, drop a much larger lead than we use, inside the bag so that nothing can tangle on the cast, and often hurl it hundreds of meters using very strong carp rods.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Not strictly true Maverick as the lads I go with do the same as you and make lots of bags/mesh up at home with different baits/sizes in.
They will then just grab the tubs they want or have them in the car ready to go for short stint sessions.
This weekend I hope to get a delivery of mesh so as to make up bags for a Feb-March Barbel campaign.
Nothing worse that tying bankside with cold and wet hands.

The Bivvy boys on longer stay sessions make up the rigs/bags bankside to adapt to their stay at the waters needs and to pass the time.

squimp

Site Supporter
I never tie mine far in advance - because some of the liquids/oils in my bait soak into the PVA and slow down the melt time.

Note that you can buy different ‘weights’ of PVA and that affects the melt time, particularly in cold water. You can also buy different diameters - I have 3 varying from 20 -35 mm.

Line Clip

I never tie mine far in advance - because some of the liquids/oils in my bait soak into the PVA and slow down the melt time.

Note that you can buy different ‘weights’ of PVA and that affects the melt time, particularly in cold water. You can also buy different diameters - I have 3 varying from 20 -35 mm.

Line Clip

Thanks for feed back all, just need to put things into practice before our fur and feather Match, ( that's if MATCH FISHING IS ALLOWED BEFORE XMAS)