PVA mesh bags

cwebb4

So, i've been testing the pva mesh i use- quick breakdown ESP mesh and the bags open up within 4-5 seconds of being in water. Which is very very fast but maybe ok for super shallow venues if your careful i guess. Sadly tho the knots do not melt. I tested this upto an hour and the knots were still there amongst the pellets. Has anyone found AND TESTED any mesh bags and found that there is a company that makes ones where the knots actually melt?

Please dont quote me the company info of "no residue left" material if you have not tested them yourself. I went with ESP precisely because they were the ones that most seemed to be pushing the complete breakdown/no residue stuff but the knots remain even after an hour...

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
20210920_140641.jpg

Been using Fox PVA for ages... no residue if you nick the mesh... hooking the knot always leaves residue I've found

Arry

Site Supporter
They do... but take longer

Arry

Site Supporter
The warmer the water the faster the melt... the cooler the slower... just nick the hook through the mesh or alternatively thread the hooklink through the mesh with a baiting needle and pull the hook point into the bag and reattach your hooklink to the swivel... job done... you can dip the lot into your glug pot then and chuck it out as normal

Silver fan 82

Been using the ESP mesh bags for a few years now. I've not had any issues apart from when it's really cold. All OK this time of year though. How long are you leaving it?

cwebb4

Why is it an issue ?
Because there are clumps(knots) of pva(artificial material) amongst a very small pile of bait and your hook bait. All the companies advertise that their stuff breaks down completely without leaving residue. So it matters to them, seemingly.

Arry

Site Supporter
Been using the ESP mesh bags for a few years now. I've not had any issues apart from when it's really cold. All OK this time of year though. How long are you leaving it?
You can get a fast melt PVA mesh for winter

cwebb4

The warmer the water the faster the melt... the cooler the slower... just nick the hook through the mesh or alternatively thread the hooklink through the mesh with a baiting needle and pull the hook point into the bag and reattach your hooklink to the swivel... job done... you can dip the lot into your glug pot then and chuck it out as normal
Im not saying the mesh i use doesnt work, im saying the knots have not melted after an hour and wondered if there might be a mesh out there that melts, even the knots.

Arry

Site Supporter
The knots do melt eventually, but if you nick the mesh and not the knot, it is no longer an issue...
I never hook the knot for precisely that reason... its the same using solid bags... if you twist the loose pva round the stem of the lead you often retrieve a lump of pva round the stem but the rest has dissolved... don't think you'll find a pva that melts a clump/knot quickly... don't worry it does dissolve eventually... you just need to hook your bag differently that's all

cwebb4

The knots do melt eventually, but if you nick the mesh and not the knot, it is no longer an issue...
I never hook the knot for precisely that reason... its the same using solid bags... if you twist the loose pva round the stem of the lead you often retrieve a lump of pva round the stem but the rest has dissolved... don't think you'll find a pva that melts a clump/knot quickly... don't worry it does dissolve eventually... you just need to hook your bag differently that's all
Sure, that makes sense. I never hook the knot anyway but i use mesh bags for match fishing so really need a fast breakdown. But i guess no pva knot is gonna breakdown within the time frame for match fishing.

Arry

Site Supporter
Are you fishing the teabag method...?

Arry

Site Supporter

squimp

Site Supporter
You can get PVA string and also tape. All of which do slightly different things in water. You can plait/unplait the string to alter the breakdown rate.

As Arry says mesh is available in different mesh sizes as well as tube diameters and different breakdown rates.

But at the end of the day PVA is PVA…..

Personally the residue bit is a non issue for me (and probably most other regular users) despite what the advertising says !

BTW the best PVA I’ve used is called ‘carp craze’ available via a well known auction site. It’s cheap and good.

Nothing wrong with the ESP or Korda equivalent except that it’s good and expensive.